Welcome! Let's get to know each other!

Hi, all! My name is Megan and this coming school year will be our first homeschooling. I have one in preschool, one in first grade, and a freshman doing online school.

I am currently terrified and excited at the same time.

Hi All! My name is Diana and Iā€™m brand new to homeschooling. I have 3 kiddos, two boys and a girl. I am leaning toward a mix of teaching styles. From what Iā€™ve researched all the styles seem to have great aspects to them, and Iā€™m hoping we can pull a little from all styles and find what works best for us. There are many reasons we are choosing to homeschool now, but one of our biggest reasons is because we found that because our children werenā€™t ā€œtroubledā€ or ā€œproblem childrenā€ they were left to fend for themselves in school while the teacher and staff attention were on the ā€œtroubledā€ children as their principal put it. I am hoping that the individual attention and really mastering concepts will help them excel. They are not behind by any means, and do really well in school, but they definitely just need more than what theyā€™re receiving in public school. Iā€™m really excited/terrified to get started, but I feel this will absolutely be best for my family.

Hello!
Ī™ have four children, two girls and two boys ages 8 ā€“ 5 ā€“ 5 -2. Iā€™ve been a part-time homeschooler for two years now. I donā€™t officially homeschool becasue, here in Europe, itā€™s illegal! The upside is there really isnā€™t anything wrong with state schools. I am effectively teaching them English language because, if I donā€™t, theyā€™ll never learn to read and write in English. We also do so much extra maths that, effectively, Iā€™m part-time homeschooling. Iā€™m really happy to share advice and offer any hints and tips to everyone else.

Hi, I have one daughter who is going into 4th grade. I am a teacher by past career, and have wanted to homeschool for many years. This year, God has blessed me to be able to do it. I am finding that I am a mix of styles, traditional for the most part, but I am loving some things about the Charlotte Mason methods as well.
I am gathering information and recommendations on curriculum. I thought I would be more interested in a box curriculum, but am finding out that I like all of the choices instead.

Hi. I am just beginning my journey into homeschooling. I have not even ā€œofficiallyā€
begun. My primary reason is 3 weeks ago my husband passed away very suddenly from a severe asthma attack. Our 11 year old son was with him and had to call 911. When I got home from the store, Scott was conscious but quickly passed out, his heart and breathing stopped. I did CPR and he was on life support for 3 days, but then I made the decision to let him go once there was confirmation of no brain activity. My son will be going into 6th grade, a whole new school and, with COVID-19 still strong, he will begin virtually schooling anyway. So I figured, if he is going to be learning from home anywayā€¦i would prefer it be on my terms, with curriculum that I trust is in line with our Christian values. I also work full time, but again, due to COVID-19 I have been doing a lot from home. I also have a wonderful boss and amazing team at my job who are very flexible and will work with me as much as possible to accommodate everything. (I work in mental health). I literally do not know what I am doing but I do feel God leading me in this direction. I have a ton of questions and apprehensions but I think given what my son has experienced, keeping him home is a better option.

My condolences on your sudden loss. Homeschooling your son will be a great way to monitor his mental health and to help you both navigate this difficult new path on your journey of life. Blessing to you and your family.

Hello! I am Keen!

1. How long have you been homeschooling?
    Since my children started school in 2014.
  2. How many children do you have?
    Two, ages are 11 and nearly 10.
  3. What teaching style do you like best? Charlotte Mason, Traditional, Eclectic, etc.
    We have been using Abeka video school but I donā€™t like it :grimacing: trying to look into other types.
  4. Why did you start homeschooling?
    Because I am a worry wart and didnā€™t want to send my children to public school. We also tend to move a lot and I donā€™t want to uproot them. I also donā€™t like the morals taught, as they donā€™t line up with our own Christian values.

Hi Everyone,

I am excited to find this group. Iā€™m not really certain you would consider me a ā€œtrueā€ homeschooler, but this is my, and my sonā€™s, story. So, my son attended a small, private school through 8th grade. After 8th grade, we enrolled him at a small, Christian Homeschool Co-op. The Co-op is on a university model, so he goes to school on M, Wed, Thurs, and has home study days on Tu and Fri. For the last two years he has had a full, 6 class schedule, so we only had him do the courses that were offered at school. This year, there are only 3 classes (two of which are a Dual Enrollment classes) that he needs/wants to take at the school, so I am looking for alternatives.

Can our teaching style be traditional/eclectic? I choose this because he is used to a traditional style of school, but if I am in charge of 3 of his classes, Iā€™m afraid it will be very eclectic;) We choose the Homeschool Co-op because we did not want our son exposed to all of the drama and worldly things that go on in public schools now and private high schools in our area seem to be very similar culturally to public schools.

Even though he is a rising Junior in high school, I feel there is so much I can learn from this group to help him make his last two years of high school great ones.

Iā€™m excited to be be here and to share anything I can and learn lots!

Hi, Iā€™m Ashleigh. I have 4 children, and am starting our 7th year homeschooling. I am traditional homeschooler. We were initially drawn to homeschooling because our local school district was far too large. We were nervous our child would be lost in the system.

My name is Belinda. My 4th grader begins homeschooling tomorrow. I have no idea which teaching style will work for us, so this year we got the all in one Abeka accredited video lessons. I realize this might not work out and there are other options. We chose homeschooling for several reasons. One, I am a stay-at -home mom, and I miss my child after being home with me all summer. Other reasons include: lack of religion, history and grading system at our public school. (Masks mandates were the final straw.) My husband is getting his pilotā€™s license so our field trips will be extra exciting without the rigorous attendance requirements.

Hi Iā€™m Crista. I have three kiddos ages 10,6 and 3. This will be our 3rd year homeschooling after sending two of our children to ā€œregularā€ school for two years(because we let others views of our choice to homeschool make us feel we were not fit to teach our children) we decided that homeschooling was always Godā€™s plan for us and we shouldnā€™t have doubted ourselves. So we are very excited to get back to homeschooling.

Hi! My name is Noel, I have 2 girls (10 & 11). This is my first year homeschooling, though I have always wanted to. I decided this was the year to do it because 1-the virus, 2-the past couple of years I have felt that my kids are not receiving the kind of education that I had hoped for and I just donā€™t feel that they were cared for and lifted up adequately. I feel that since I know them best and have their absolute best interest at heart, this is the way to go. I am totally new to this, so I donā€™t know the style I like best yet, but I think Iā€™m somewhat traditional. Iā€™m looking forward to learning from all of you!

Hello, My name is Karis. I have one child he is 7 weeks old today. But I have decided to homeschool my sisterā€™s twin five year old boysā€¦ This is my first time homeschooling. Iā€™m hoping Iā€™m up for the task. There is so much information out there, it is overwhelming. I just want to give my nephews a leg up in school. Iā€™m not familiar with the different types of homeschooling. but if I had to guess I would sat traditional.

Hello, new here to this forum. I have an 8 yo, been homeschooling for 4 years now. We do a mix of Charlotte Mason and Classical. We chose to homeschool to offer our LO a more well rounded education and to be a consistent part of it. It adds to our bonding as well. It has been a fun journey and I enjoy seeing the developments as we progress.

Hello My name is Tonya Gordon Im a 32 year old single, coparenting mom of 5 kids. We live and farm medical cannabis in the state of Okahoma. I am homeschooling my kids for the very first time due to our cities publc school already seeing a covid outbreak. The virtual learning program the public school offers is so complex and just does not work well for me having 5 kids at home to teach. i have a 7th grader with some LD. 5th grade. 3rd grade. 2nd grade and PreK/KG. Im trying to find a basic curriculum for each grade that we can do together. If theres anyone with advice, Knows the Must Haves, or if you know of any sites made for easy learning for each grade please let me know. Thanks so much - Tonya

** :innocent:**Hello! I am a mom of 4 ā€œchildrenā€. Two are graduated and two are at home yet. My 16 year old does remote learning and will go back to regular school by choice. My 10 year old however is now my focus. He is very active with imagination and physically active. Interested to hear others view on learning one subject a day as that was his suggestion! Thanks!

My name is Bridget.

1. We homeschooled for 6 years, then they did public school and now back to homeschool.
  2. 5, 4 are in school.
  3. Traditional with a little Eclectic flair
  4. I want to be home with my kids again.

I was teaching public school while they went back to school and now we are all back home, because I wonā€™t get this time back with them!!

Hi, Iā€™m so excited to be here thank you! We have 2 kids, one is 13 and the other is 9. I started homeschooling when my son who at the time was in 7th grade and my daughter remained in public school. I now homeschool both and are still working on getting a rythm down. We use classical conversation and love it!

Hi! My name is Toria and this is my first time homeschooling. I have a 10th grader, 4th grader, and preschooler. Lots of new learning and struggles figuring out the best for each kid. I have been wanting to home-school since my oldest was in the 2nd grade but never felt qualified and thought with our busy schedules with our business and farm, that I would not be able to do it. My oldest has always struggled to ā€œkeep upā€ with standards and after lots of fails with the school system, seeing how she was being left behind, and now with COVID, we took the plunge. Still trying to get a good program to fit my oldest kiddos needs and help her grow.

Hello, Iā€™m Kyle. Iā€™ve 2 children and have been homeschooling for 2.5 years now. I neither have a fixed method of homeschooling nor follow anyone in particular.
Although an institutional set up like a school, college is essential for exposure, developing interpersonal relationships, and social ethics, I believe most learning happens outside. It is vital that children are exposed to the practical world and have perspectives on different ideologies. I feel my job as a parent is to help introduce ideologies through discussions, help explore the world by taking them to different destinations and allow them to rationally choose the path they are attracted to.