Welcome! Let's get to know each other!

Hi!! My name is Ashley. I am “Mommy” to 3 littles - Kindergarten, pre-k, and infant developmental levels. As far as curriculum I would say that I’m more traditional, but we definitely do I corporate fun/unqiue/non-traditional activities at times. We started homeschooling last year when our oldest was in pre-k. The reason we started homeschooling was because we 1) wanted the best for our daughters 2) we knew that it would provide them with more freedom to explore really cool things, and 3) we felt called to do it.

Thanks!!

1 Like

Hello!
I’m Jennifer. This is our first year homeschooling. I tend to lean towards a more traditional way with lots of hands on for science and social studies.
I have three children. 7 years old, 5 years old, and 3 years old.
We started homeschooling because I was teaching public school and myself and my husband were not pleased with the education our children were receiving.
We also wanted our children to be able to learn at their pace. It is going pretty well. Better than I thought our first year would be.

1 Like

Hello all!

I’m Amy, a mommy to four kiddos, two of whom are homeschooling age. We’ve been on this journey for four years so far and love it!

I suppose we lean toward a more traditional homeschooling method, but we’re up for anything that seems like a good fit for our family/lifestyle.

Hi Erica and all! My name is Donna. I have two wonderful children.
My son will be 4 in June and my daughter just turned 2 in March.
So, I started homeschooling in October of last year (2018).
Right now, I’m only homeschooling my 4 year old but plan on
starting to also teach my daughter in the fall.
So far, it’s been a little challenging for me to devote the time
that I would really like to in homeschooling unfortunately.
I’m blessed to be able to be a stay-at-home mom but we live in a house that’s too small for all of us and that’s been under construction for the past couple of years. It’s great that we’re expanding but at the same time
it can be a little inconvenient at times.
Plus, I used to work in accounting, so paperwork i’m confortable with
but teaching, not so much.

Thanks to people like you Erica who have all kinds of
really good advice, tools and ressources, it’s really helped
me in so many ways. Giving me the confidence and hope that I desperately needed to get started. So thank you so much!!

The reason why we decided to homeschool is for several
reasons but like most people, we don’t like what’s going on
in most public schools troughout this country therefore
don’t want to subject our kids to any of that.
As parents, we believe that it’s our great privilege and
responsibility to raise our children well and teach them
in all things, the way that they should go.
It’s a daunting and scary task but so much worth it!
I look at this as a great adventure and am looking forward
to it!!

1 Like

Hello I’m Amber. I have 4 children. Oldest being my girl and three boys. I like Charlotte Mason. I’ve been homeschooling for 5 years now. I started homeschooling because I felt God calling me to. I feel that the public school system has failed so many and has become so unsafe.

1 Like

Hi there. I am Crystal! I have 3 kids, Nicholas, 7, Brooklyn, 6 and Jonathan, 3 (Nicholas is homeschooled, Brooklyn attends a Charter school and Jonathan attends a Montessori school). Well, where do I even begin. My journey to homeschooling feels like it has only just begun. I began homeschooling my 7 year old son last November. I guess I should start by telling you more of the background first… My 7 year old son has a dual diagnosis of ASD/ADHD and he wasn’t receiving the support that he needed through the school system. He really needed a one-on-one aide inside the classroom, but the school wouldn’t allow him to have one and said he would be at 100% disability and need to be placed in a Special Education classroom which he does not need. He just needed the one on one support. Since I pulled him from the public school system and placed him in home school, he has done amazing. Some days are definitely easier than others. I mean, we have our meltdowns, our easy days, our really hard days, the days I sometimes want to pour myself a glass of wine by noon, but then there are those perfectly amazing days where everything goes smoothly and it makes every hard day just dissipate and you forget the hard and reward all the good. I kind of just teach as I go. I feel like I am still getting the hang of the homeschool life. WE’re getting the groove of things, but then I feel like once we get the groove of things, he outgrows something or things change with him and we change things again. I feel like with ASD/ADHD things are constantly changing for him, so I just try and keep his schedule consistent, lots of breaks, and watch for his body language and give him his sensory bin to try and avoid those meltdowns. Along with homeschooling, his ABA therapists come to the house twice a week and he has therapy at the Center once a week with other kids his age to work on Social situations which I feel is amazing because he doesn’t know how to pick up those social queues sometimes. I am looking forward to learning more about this community and more about homeschool life and curriculum and being the best homeschool mom I can be. I’m potentially thinking about homeschooling the other two as well, but I’m just taking everything one year at a time.

1 Like

This is our first year to homeschool. I like that I can tailor learning to my kids interests. I have a 3rd grader and a 7th grader. I will use traditional and online classes.

Hi, I am Nettie Longoria also known as handymom.
This is the first year homeschooling my 10 year old granddaughter. I homeschool her mother and aunts through high school or about 12 years.
My style is best described as easy or later back. Life is the best teacher with a little math and reading thrown in for good measure. I try not to stress the small stuff.
We are raising said granddaughter and her 13 year old brother. We lost our daughter 3 years ago which left them with us.
I started homeschooling my she because she was falling behind and needed one on one help and comfort. She is a dear sweet girl with a big heart and fragile emotions. The loss of her mother was very hard on her.
We are having a good year so far and hope everyone else is too.

I have one 7 year old daughter, and we are starting homeschool for the first time for her 2nd grade year. I’m pulling from traditional resources online, but also try to include as much eclectic style as I can. We started homeschool because we just moved to a new area, with limited public schools with decent ratings. I just want to help her have fun learning. I don’t want it to be a drag for her.

1 Like

Hi all! My name is Tracey and this will be our 7th year of homeschooling! Has it really been that long? I only have one child left at home and our older kids attended PS, but we felt led to HS our son from the beginning. We started all those years ago in preschool with @erica LOTW and have been finding our way ever since :wink: Our style is a mix of everything… classical, CM, eclectic, but with a few traditional worksheets here and there.

Hi everyone!

My name is Kat. I’m homeschooling my 11 year old daughter for the first time this year. I am feeling a little overwhelmed but I’m getting help from a family member who has been homeschooling her daughter for years!

My name is Saad and I am new in Homeschooling. I have 3 Children and the elder one is of 4 years. I am working on setting-up homeschooling at my home. I want to know basics regarding homeschooling.

Hi, my name is Priscilla and I’ve never homeschooled before but I recently decided to homeschool my son. He’s 18yrs. old with autism and he’s my whole world. I have no idea as to what teaching style would best be suited but I shall find out.

I decided to homeschool my son for safety reasons. I am now stress free knowing that he is safe because he will be with me, and in addition, I can make learning fun. :slight_smile:

Hello my name is Krystal and I have two boys we have been homeschooling for 5 years as of November. I pulled my youngest out of 4th grade because the public school was not helping with his learning disability ( he has dyspraxia, which is a fine motor disorder so his handwriting is not the greatest. ) They were failing his tests because they could not read it even if he could tell them the right answer when asked the questions. He also has ADHD and they were saying that he had behavior issues and wanted me to take him to the doctor to medicate him. I started homeschooling my oldest the next year because he was failing every class in 6 grade except gym and orchestra and they were still going to push him to 7th grade. I decided that I would keep him home repeat the sixth grade stuff. I am not mad at the public school system they have 20 + kids so I know one on one is really hard to do. I just think my children need the one on one so I homeschool them. I would say we are Eclectic and use a lot of different methods at some points I have even done unschooling.

Hello my name is Elizabeth I have a 4yr old and a 2yr old I am looking into homeschooling but its been so overwhelming theres to much stuff out there that I don’t know where to start. I would really appreciate any help anybody could give me to know where to start what to expect what curriculums I should try. Thank you in advance.

Hi I’m Sundi. I’ve been homeschooling since August of last year.
We moved from Florida to Colorado and we decided to homeschool so I could spend more time with our kids and give them a solid education.
I have two boys. One is in 9th grade and the other is in 4th.
I’m a former teacher and enjoy homeschooling so far.

Hello from Texas! We are returning to homeschooling after a 2 year hiatus. I loved the resources found at COAH and am so glad it is still a valued site. I came straightaway to find thoughtful reviews for my rising 6th grader.

Hi everyone!! My name is Katrina. I have been homeschooling my 2 girls, ages 6 & 8, since the end of January. We recently moved from Washington to Florida and we’re just starting to get the hang of this homeschool thing. :smiley: We started K-12 in the fall while we were still in Washington because I’ve always wanted to homeschool but was scared that I couldn’t give them the education they need. It turns out, K-12 was way too intense for us so we switched over to full time homeschool right before we moved.

Hello, My name is Sherry. We have been homeschooling for nine years. I have three children my oldest will be starting her last year in high-school in September. My boys will be in ninth and eight grade. We like homeschool because of the freedoms it gives us!

1 Like

Hello, I’m Ritta. I have 2 kids, one in college and a 3.5 year old. I have never homeschooled but have been looking into it for a few weeks now. I’m not sure what style of homeschool I like or want to try. Was thinking of a structured one for now until I get the hang of it and then just go from there. Possibly will end up integrating several styles. I look forward to getting some tips and learning new things from the group. :blush: