Welcome! Let's get to know each other!

Hi I’m Chanelle

This will be my second year of homeschooling! I have 3 children (7, 6, & 1) and am still trying to figure out this when homeschool world! At time when I am looking at everything it can become a bit overwhelming but I know I have made the right choice for our family. I look forward to learning more from each of you and hope to grasp how to do this before it’s to late lol!

Hi! My name is Jazmine, I actually haven’t homeschooled yet. I have 1 child, a 4 year old daughter and we’re moving to North Carolina in 2 weeks. I’ve known I’ve wanted to homeschool her since she was born, mainly because I’ve wanted her to have the best education and surroundings possible. I have religious beliefs also in why I’d like to homeschool her.
So I stumbled upon your homeschooling 101 videos on YouTube and it led me here. I’m so thankful to see there’s such a great community out there for people who don’t know where to start or just want to come on here and discuss things.
I would really like to give her the traditional education as well as bible teaching at a young age. I feel homeschooling will allow me to teach her in the way I’d feel comfortable with and in a better environment, children are most comfortable when at home and I just want the best for her and I’m just starting out so I will be researching and looking for curriculums and whatever other steps to take. I feel a little late in the game, but I will do whatever it takes to give her a great education.

1 Like

Hey :blush: my name is Brittany!
How long have you been homeschooling? So far, we’re at home learners! My son is to start preschool this 2018/2019 school year.
How many children do you have? One at home with me and one stop child who is with her mama during the week and attends their local public school.
What teaching style do you like best? (Charlotte Mason, Traditional, Eclectic, etc.). I’m still learning them all. I like structure, but I like seeing my son learn by the freedom of exploring his interests. We will see where his learning styles lead us.
Why did you start homeschooling? Freedom, confidence in my childs safety and innocence, and out of love for my son

Hi, I’m Nikki! I have 4 kiddos, ages 10,8,5,3. We live in Albuquerque, NM and have been homeschooling for 5 years. I found your blog (Erica :))when I was first starting out, and it blessed me so much! Your preK resources are what I started using :slight_smile: and since then, we have discovered a love for a Classical approach to learning. We attend a co-teaching private school, so I actually homeschool 3 days a week, and they kids attend a classroom setting 2 days a week. It’s been a wonderful fit for us, but have been feeling convicted to homeschool full time as we RV and travel more…so we shall see :slight_smile: thank you for this forum, I look forward to getting and providing lots of ideas and feedback!

1 Like

Hi! My name is Sherry. I’ve been a homeschooling mom for 20 years. My oldest is now 26 and my youngest is 6 (we have 8 children). My husband and I decided to homeschool from the very beginning because we wanted our family to live life together.

I have tried many different styles but my favorite and what I always come back to is the Charlotte Mason method. I have collected quite a bit of material over the years and now I am interested in selling some things. Here’s what I currently have for sale:

All About Reading Pre-reading level $50
All About Reading level 1 $50
All About Reading level 2 $50
Saxon Math level 1 $45
Life of Fred math Apples $10
Life of Fred math Butterflies $10
Life of Fred math Cats $10
Life of Fred math Trigonometry $20

1 Like

I’ve been homeschooling for 10 years now. I have five children, 13, 10, 8, 5, and 21 m. I started using 1 curriculim realizing soon that I would need to make some choices on my own, which helped me with number 2 which has been a different experience. With years of trying to be patient I feel like I might need another change, maybe a curriculum that is set up but with ease (having multiple children). And how we got here would trickle down to the fact my husband thought it was the only way to go :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Erik and Victoria, here. After spending just under two years sailing the gulf coast with our four year-old, were turned to dry land. After the experience of kindergarten in public schools we decided it was in our sons best interest to homeschool. We have been doing lessons all summer to get him prepared for 1st grade. But today is officially day one of the academic year.

2 Likes

Hi Everyone! I’m Julie, mom of two boys ages 3 and 6. We are about to embark on year 2 of homeschooling although I’ve decided to homeschool year round (with a ton of breaks!) I’m glad I found this forum as I recently deleted my Facebook and was worried I’d lose touch with other homeschoolers. Turns out I was worried for nothing as there are plenty of other places to connect such as this forum.
My boys have never been in public school although my oldest did go to private preschool. It was not a good experience and I felt anxious about all the school years ahead. My husband convinced me about homeschooling and now I’m pretty sure I will never look back. I’m so glad to be able to homeschool!

1 Like

My name is Natasha and I have been homeschooling for 4 years now. We have 3 children ages 11,9, and 4. We definitely have preferred the traditional style (I love structure) but as we are reaching the higher grades I’m finding the need to be more creative to meet their needs and keep their attention.

We have always known we wanted to homeschool. I was homeschooled till college, my husband was not and he found that during his middle school/high school years his life was consumed with everything but learning. There are so many reasons we homeschool like you said but mostly because we know that God has specifically anointed us to raise our children and that we need to be the loudest voice in their lives.

1 Like

Hi, I’m Susie…we are starting our 3rd year homeschooling. I have 3 children, our oldest is 21 now and the two that we homeschool are 6 and 8. We do more traditional homeschooling, though I have been researching Charlotte Manson some lately. I always wanted to homeschool and when our youngest son was in the 1st grade we started, he was bullied in kindergarten and my husband finally agreed that it was best to keep the children home.

1 Like

So glad I found you! This is my first year homeschooling but it has been on my heart for quite some time. Finally taking the plunge and trusting God to guide me and give me patience! I have to say I am becoming an addict to all things homeschool related and I am so excited to get to learn with my kids. I have 3 kids and one due in December. I am teaching my older two kids and chasing a toddler. I have to say, I am terrified about adding a newborn and still being able to homeschool and keep the toddler entertained :flushed:. I am still finding out my style. I am using Abeka curriculum but have found that I am wanting to change some subjects like history, science, Bible and art to something more fun and hands-on.

1 Like

Hello! We started homeschooling last year. I have 2 kiddos. I’m not quite sure what my teaching style is. I think it is mixed, but we shall see! Lol! We started homeschooling because i want my kiddos to learn about God, and the value of family.

Hi! My name is Cheryl and this is my 2nd year homeschooling. I have 2 kids, ages 2 and 5. I am a certified teacher, and so with all my training and experience, I definitely veer towards traditional teaching styles. After working both in childcare and then in public schools and my husband working in law enforcement, we have seen the worst of the worst when it comes to children’s education and care. We want our children to be raised and taught by us! I love the freedom in teaching to my child’s distinct needs, as well as religious beliefs. My 5 yr old started kindergarten 8 months early and will more than likely begin 1st grade while all of her peers are in Kinder still. She is super smart and I love being able to allow her to learn at her own pace (aka super speed!). I used the COAH preschool curriculum with her last year and loved it!

1 Like

Hello! My name is Kelly and we are 3 months into our homeschooling adventure! We have 3 adopted kiddos and guardianship of our last foster kiddo (finalizing her adoption hopefully in 2019). My kiddos are 11, 8, 6, 4. Our approach to homeschooling is a mix of a relaxed-traditional and hands-on.

I toyed with homeschooling when my oldest (and only boy) came home from Guatemala but was essentially worried I’d short change him somehow. Instead, all kiddos were sent to a very small Catholic school and while I loved it at first, my oldest struggled with his teacher once he hit 3rd grade. This was also the same time I went back to school for my teaching degree and took a part-time tech teacher position at his school. Our family time suddenly started to unravel with outbursts from my happy go lucky kid.

Due to the small school he had this teacher again for 4th grade. I was unhappy with what I was hearing from this teacher throughout the day and how she spoke to her students. When I brought my concerns to admin I was basically told that’s just the way she teaches and not to worry she’d retire soon. So with my classes, my husbands work schedule, kids activities, all of our volunteering, etc. family time was being done in shifts. The attitude from the school, coupled with our hectic family schedule made us stop and ask ourselves why we adopted in the first place. We wanted family and quality time together. So we took a huge step back, scaled down to the basics and pulled them from their school. Now we are loving homeschooling, the freedom it allows, and all the family time. The biggest adjustment for the kiddos is missing daily time with their friends but they love the new curriculum. I can’t wait to see what others are doing with their homeschool journey!

1 Like

Hello! We are new to homeschooling. This is our first week! Yikes! :crazy_face: My daughter went to private school thru 7th grade and went to public for 8th but decided it just wasn’t for her. So we decided to homeschool! We are enjoying it immensely and having a great time and it is bringing us much closer. I hope this continues. I work from home as a single Mother so it gives me all the time I need to educate her. I have not decided on my style yet but she definitely likes to have books in hand so we won’t be doing a lot of online or virtual curriculum I don’t believe. So far I’m mostly using Lifepacs from AOP but I’m not sure I will stick with them for next year. We are using Apologia for science and she is wanting to go to college for a science based degree. So we will be piling on the science and math as much as possible. I am interested in the IEW curriculum but am not quite understanding what all it involves. If someone could maybe explain it to me I would be appreciative. I will list our current classes below. If anyone thinks I am lacking in what she is taking this year please say something. We are only on week one and have plenty of time to make adjustments! I didn’t mean to make this so long but I would appreciate any advice anyone has for me and for a newb like myself! Thanks so much!

AOP Lifepac 9th grade Language Arts
Apologia 9th grade Physical Science
AOP Lifepac 9th grade Algebra I
AOP Lifepac History/Geography
Abeka Family and Consumer Sciences
Abeka Speech
PE thru our local YMCA along with anything physical at home

1 Like

My name is Karisse. My husband and I have 2 boys. We haven’t officially started homeschooling yet as the oldest is just 4.5. We will be starting some preschool-type activities very soon. I don’t know anything about “styles” at the moment so I’m not sure what to say there, but eclectic sounds pretty descriptive of my style. We are wanting to homeschool because we feel a particular conviction to be in charge of shaping our children’s minds and want to make sure their education can be tailored to them.

I’m very glad to have found this blog and forum and looking forward to connecting with everyone!

1 Like

Hi Karisse! Welcome to the community!!

Hello, I’m Amber. I have 3 kids, homeschooling 2. My oldest is 20 graduated from public school. I just pulled my 2 younger children, 8 and 12, from public school 3 weeks ago. We are very new to homeschooling, but qre enjoying learning and figuring out what works for them and us as a family. My 12 year old (7th grade) was in a bad school (D graded) that had guns brought to school the first week of school. I have the school a chance to prove that it wasn’t as bad as their grade, but ended up being a horrible school. So I have pulled her out with the intention of letting her go back to public school if she chooses for high school.
My 8 year old is a 3rd grader, and I pulled him out because he is behind in everything. The school kept pushing him forward to the next grade even when he was not ready for it. So we are learning grade level and also trying to fix and fill in everything he is missing. He are learning to write his letters properly and basics on a lot of things. He does have Sensory Processing Disorder with a fine motor and speech delay.
I am excited for this journey with my kids. In just 3 weeks my children have actually started getting along. :smile:

1 Like

HI I am Faye and I have been homeschooling for 3 years. I have 2 boys 8 and 5. When we first started homeschooling I used different resources. This year we switched to Sonlight and I love just about everything about Sonlight except for their language arts program. For the early elementary years we use first language lessons and next year for oldest we will switch over to IEW for language arts. Thanks for all of your great youtube videos, I stumbled across them while I was tirelessly searching for a writing program for my oldest next year.

1 Like

Hi I’m jennifer I’m new here. :blush: we started homeschooling this year we started on August 15th. We use Christian liberty books my kids really like their program. We usually do between 5 to 6 days a week of studies. (Saturday is an extra math, english, spelling what they learned). I have 2 kids they’re 8 and 6. In first and second grade. We decided to homeschool because my husband was homeschooled and they didnt seem to be doing well in public school especially with my son being ADHD and not much option for help. But now they’re both doing amazing as t home.

2 Likes