Poll: What is your favorite history curriculum?

We haven’t started an official history curriculum yet. We have done unit studies on different countries and topics my kids show interest in. We use library books and other things I find online.

I love history, but I cannot put into words the aggravation this subject has caused me. I have a 13yo and an 8yo that I would like to combine for history. I have Mystery of History year 4 because I wanted US history but their eyes completely glazed over while I was reading it to them. I just opened the Story of the World today so we’ll see how that goes. I actually bought it to use as a spine for BibloPlan which I have not received yet. So hopefully I’ll be able to update with something positive. :confused:

We haven’t done history yet, but I love the Road Trip USA one and can’t wait to start it in the next few years.

We went through 3 years of Mystery of History, and now we are using Sonlight. We also used Road Trip USA one year and loved it.

We used Heart of Dakota curriculum this year (2nd grade). We really love it, but next year I’m going to piecemeal curriculum for what works for us since I’ll have a 3rd grader and a Kindergartener, as well as a 2 year old and a brand spankin’ new baby. My plans for next year are to use Road Trip USA as well as Liberty’s Kids DVDs. I also plan on using all of the American Girl historical books to cover each time period in American History, adding in fun projects and supplements to that from Pinterest. My daughters are definitely excited about that!

2 Likes

We use K12 virtual school for history. Love it! It starts at the very beginning and I have found that it follows our bible studies as well. We also use Road trip USA!

Our favorite history program is the self-paced history through Veritas Press - it’s second to none!!

So far we’ve just been using living books to learn about American History, and are enjoying that. I’m looking for an actual history curriculum though, and this thread has helped a lot!

We are using Story of the World Vol 1. I hated history as a kid, because it was all dates and memorization. I love the story telling, and I’m amazed at how much I’m learning. I knew so many little pieces, and now they are finally fitting together. I hope the same happens for my kids.
Would love to check out Road Trip USA for tackling the states.

We are really enjoying Story of the World this year. My kids are so sad if we skip a day. The activity book is a must, although I have 3 girls who enjoy coloring :wink:

We started Story of the World, but ended up taking a break from it and deciding to come back to it maybe next year when my kids are a little older. We shifted more to geography type activities for a while. I would love to get organized enough to do everything in Road Trip USA. I wish Erica sold the whole set assembled. :slight_smile:

We love Story of the World. We have looked at Calvert, but it didn’t provide enough information or substance for him.

I am currently using Beautiful Feet Early American History for my 2nd grader (and my PreK listens too). We do like it but I think my daughter is getting a little bored with it. She’s very hands on and visual and I’m wondering if it’s really sinking in. I’m thinking a program with more hands on activities would be better.

We are doing Geography separately, just going through the states alphabetically. I would like something a little more structured that incorporates the history of the state too.

It’s so hard to know which program will work unless you have the ability to look through them all before you choose one. How awesome would it be if we could physically preview curriculum before we buy from a company.

We are currently using Abeka Grade 2 and Road Trip USA for this year.

1 Like

We LOVE How the States Got Their Shapes! It’s really a very interesting show!

2 Likes

We just started using Story of the World and are enjoying it.

We are using SOTW, with a lot of map/reference book look ups. My son is only 6 but is really interested in history and maps so we are mostly having fun. We will begin more seriously next year.

We are currently using Story of the World and really enjoy it! :slight_smile:

We are using Time Travelers American History right now. I love it! It has so many hands on projects that really bring out the lessons. My kids love it too.

We started Story of the World for first grade but when I read about mummies it scared my daughter. So we put it back on the shelf for later.