Poll: What is your favorite history curriculum?

I don’t know what history curriculum to use with my daughter. She will begin homeschooling this July or August. So I will just watch this poll for references.

We are going to start with History Revealed: Ancient Civilizations & the Bible. Has anyone used this?

1 Like

Thank you for posting about the resource A History of US. Never heard of it but sounds like the next step I need!!

DS1 will be in kindergarten and we will just be reading through a Scott Foresman book we got for Social Studies. Beyond that, I have no idea. I really hate all things History. This will definitely be the biggest challenge for me as I homeschool my kids.

We are using a Classical Memory program but are looking forward to delving in deeper as we get older.

We are using Story of the World and really like it, but we are HUGE history fans and I worry about not having enough time for U.S. History. We are not 100% Classical so I don’t feel the need to follow the Classical plan exactly (4 years of History looped 3 times). We are using Vol. 2 next year (Middle Ages) but I think the following year we are going to do 2 years of U.S. History. However, I hate to completely ignore World History of Early Modern and Modern times while stopping to do in depth study of the US. Any suggestions from someone who is further along in the homeschool journey about how to study in-depth US History while still following the Classical model of teaching history from a World History perspective?

2 Likes

We haven’t started history with my 5 year old yet.

We use a mix of Liberty Kids DVDs, library books, field trips and lapbooks found online. The Expedition Earth and Road Trip USA look fun!!

This is almost exactly what we do! We throw in some unit studies to add flavor!

1 Like

My Family and I are just beginning our homeschooling adventures! I love the look and ideas provided in Road Trip USA as well as the many ideas in this forum! It has really got me thinking!

This is our first year using Homeschool in the Woods and we are using the Explorers one. I think we will do the Colonial times next year.

Love road trip USA!!

We did both. What I did was I kept all his notebook projects in the notebook and all his lapbook projects in a gallon size ziplock bag until we were ready to assemble it at the end. Hope that helps!

Sometimes we just take a break from “curriculum” and watch some educational shows. Right now we are learning US geography while watch “How the States Got Their Shapes” on Netflix. As the host talks about a state, I have the kiddos find it on our wall map. Everyday we review what states we found the previous episode.

Also at Christmas time we tracked Santa on the NORAD website, and as Santa entered a country we would mark it off on our world map. It helped make it more meaningful for my kids!

1 Like

We are currently using Alpha Omega’s History and Geography Lifepacs, but they are a bit dry. We are going to start your Road Trip USA this Summer. I can’t wait to get started! :smiley:

We love homeschool in the woods, this year we studied the Colonies and American Revolution. They have great lapbook pieces, writing in the form a newspaper and copy work, as well as several other types of worksheets to record what they are learning. They also have some great hands on crafts. Even my daughter in kindergarten is doing this program along with my 2nd & 5th graders. Next year we are doing Medieval Times & Renaissance, which my girls are really looking forward to.

Road trip USA is awesome. One of my son’s homeschool friends comes to join us every Friday for it and even my younger ones ask to join in. Sometimes I have them go more in depth and do a report about the state’s animal or a president. There’s so much you can do with it. This Friday we’re finishing up new York and we’re going to paint like Norman Rockwell and build a Lego replica of the empire state building. Can’t wait! :slight_smile:

This year for geography we used RoadTrip USA, great curriculum, we finished Wyoming today. We incorporated history of each state along with this and the girls really loved the passport book.

We use BJU press for history and we’re doing Expedition Earth this year for our geography. My kids and I enjoy both.

Thank you so much @mrskringle! I think it is exactly what I’m looking for. I won’t be shopping for our upcoming school year for a few more months, but I will keep you in mind if you still have it then. Thanks again! :blush: