Poll: What is your favorite history curriculum?

Starting homeschooling in the Fall and having a hard time finding a geography curriculum fot my will be 4th grader.

I used Roadtrip USA in the past, and the kids loved it. I plan on doing it again now that they are older and can get more out of it.

We use Abeka and Scott Foresman (public curriculum) but add in many supplements like Expedition Earth and Road Trip USA! Also, extra worksheets, videos and non fiction reading as it applies.

2 Likes

Weā€™ve used Beautiful Feet the last couple of years and really enjoyed it.

This year we are using the library to get books. Next year we are going to start Story of the World volume 1.

We have used Sonlight and have enjoyed it.

We havenā€™t started history yet, but when we do I plan on getting Road Trip USA!

This year we are using Abeka New World History and Geography. I only buy the textbook and I create all my own worksheets and reviews, tests, and projects, note-booking pages, mapping worksheets, and coloring pages. I try to incorporate other subjects into our history. For example, in history we learned how the beaver helped to shape the North American landscape. We did a research project and learned all about beavers and their habitats. Then we did an essay with the information we found. We also added in an art project. This way we did history, science, composition, and art all in one! (I still have separate programs for each subject-I just like to overlap them if I can!)

2 Likes

I have such a passion for history. We will use an eclectic mash up for different subjects. History, like science can really be hands on with projects and trips!

Last year we really liked History For Little Pilgrims but itā€™s only one year so this year we have been doing Expedition Earth and Story of the World. Weā€™ve really enjoyed EE but Iā€™m not loving SOTW. Thinking of doing Road Trip USA next year and something else for historyā€¦ just donā€™t know what yet.

We love Homeschool in the woods! The kids do not always enjoy all the reading, but love doing the activities!

Iā€™m using the Explorers curriculum right now and I was trying to find a good way to keep it all organized. Did you do the lapbook and the notebook both?

We are doing Unit Studies this year.

1 Like

We are using Mystery of History 1 this year and love it. It has different activities for different learning levels and there are extra cds or download you get can to make extras like lap books. We did story of the world in the past but it doesnā€™t include God, since history is all about God I wanted something that reflected that in the reading. Mystery of History does just that. Weaving Bible history together with ancient history is perfect, the way it actually happened. I look forward to the other editions.

2 Likes

barefoot is my favorite . I love the history books they recommend and fun for my daughter

I have yet to choose curriculum for history/geography for when we get started with 1st/3rd Grade in the fall. Leaning towards Road Trip USA for Geography. Grateful for this discussion! 1st grader is pretty bright and has advanced reading skills, 3rd grader loves learning about Geography and History but needs something to hold her attention and get her moving, both love crafts. Will also have a 3 year old tagging along and doing her own Pre-K work. Anyone have any suggestions for me?

We used it last year and LOVED it! the only reason we are not using it now is because a group from our faith put out a curriculum for science, history, geography, literature, art and music. For ease we are using what is with our set now, and I really love this one too. But if I hadnā€™t found it we would still be using MoH. In fact Iā€™m finding it hard to let go and sell my MoH volume 1 lol. :smile: It is heavily Christian, but what I loved about it is that it helps you to see what was going on in the world compared to the times in the bible and marries the two concepts. As a kid, that was always hard for me to do. If youā€™re interested, pm me and maybe i can sell you ours.

1 Like

My son is loving Road Trip USA! He so enjoys learning about a new state and diving into everything about that state. Although I think the meal nights (based around a state) is pretty much his favorite part.

We are really enjoying Story of the World

I said other because I make my own right now. I read the state standards, listen to what my kids are interested in and we go from there.
I tried Story of the World but it wasnā€™t working for us right now.