COAH Community

Welcome! Let's get to know each other!

I have one 7 year old daughter, and we are starting homeschool for the first time for her 2nd grade year. I’m pulling from traditional resources online, but also try to include as much eclectic style as I can. We started homeschool because we just moved to a new area, with limited public schools with decent ratings. I just want to help her have fun learning. I don’t want it to be a drag for her.

1 Like

Hi all! My name is Tracey and this will be our 7th year of homeschooling! Has it really been that long? I only have one child left at home and our older kids attended PS, but we felt led to HS our son from the beginning. We started all those years ago in preschool with @erica LOTW and have been finding our way ever since :wink: Our style is a mix of everything… classical, CM, eclectic, but with a few traditional worksheets here and there.

Hi everyone!

My name is Kat. I’m homeschooling my 11 year old daughter for the first time this year. I am feeling a little overwhelmed but I’m getting help from a family member who has been homeschooling her daughter for years!

My name is Saad and I am new in Homeschooling. I have 3 Children and the elder one is of 4 years. I am working on setting-up homeschooling at my home. I want to know basics regarding homeschooling.

Hi, my name is Priscilla and I’ve never homeschooled before but I recently decided to homeschool my son. He’s 18yrs. old with autism and he’s my whole world. I have no idea as to what teaching style would best be suited but I shall find out.

I decided to homeschool my son for safety reasons. I am now stress free knowing that he is safe because he will be with me, and in addition, I can make learning fun. :slight_smile:

Hello my name is Krystal and I have two boys we have been homeschooling for 5 years as of November. I pulled my youngest out of 4th grade because the public school was not helping with his learning disability ( he has dyspraxia, which is a fine motor disorder so his handwriting is not the greatest. ) They were failing his tests because they could not read it even if he could tell them the right answer when asked the questions. He also has ADHD and they were saying that he had behavior issues and wanted me to take him to the doctor to medicate him. I started homeschooling my oldest the next year because he was failing every class in 6 grade except gym and orchestra and they were still going to push him to 7th grade. I decided that I would keep him home repeat the sixth grade stuff. I am not mad at the public school system they have 20 + kids so I know one on one is really hard to do. I just think my children need the one on one so I homeschool them. I would say we are Eclectic and use a lot of different methods at some points I have even done unschooling.

Hello my name is Elizabeth I have a 4yr old and a 2yr old I am looking into homeschooling but its been so overwhelming theres to much stuff out there that I don’t know where to start. I would really appreciate any help anybody could give me to know where to start what to expect what curriculums I should try. Thank you in advance.

Hi I’m Sundi. I’ve been homeschooling since August of last year.
We moved from Florida to Colorado and we decided to homeschool so I could spend more time with our kids and give them a solid education.
I have two boys. One is in 9th grade and the other is in 4th.
I’m a former teacher and enjoy homeschooling so far.

Hello from Texas! We are returning to homeschooling after a 2 year hiatus. I loved the resources found at COAH and am so glad it is still a valued site. I came straightaway to find thoughtful reviews for my rising 6th grader.

Hi everyone!! My name is Katrina. I have been homeschooling my 2 girls, ages 6 & 8, since the end of January. We recently moved from Washington to Florida and we’re just starting to get the hang of this homeschool thing. :smiley: We started K-12 in the fall while we were still in Washington because I’ve always wanted to homeschool but was scared that I couldn’t give them the education they need. It turns out, K-12 was way too intense for us so we switched over to full time homeschool right before we moved.

Hello, My name is Sherry. We have been homeschooling for nine years. I have three children my oldest will be starting her last year in high-school in September. My boys will be in ninth and eight grade. We like homeschool because of the freedoms it gives us!

1 Like

Hello, I’m Ritta. I have 2 kids, one in college and a 3.5 year old. I have never homeschooled but have been looking into it for a few weeks now. I’m not sure what style of homeschool I like or want to try. Was thinking of a structured one for now until I get the hang of it and then just go from there. Possibly will end up integrating several styles. I look forward to getting some tips and learning new things from the group. :blush:

Hi, all! My name is Megan and this coming school year will be our first homeschooling. I have one in preschool, one in first grade, and a freshman doing online school.

I am currently terrified and excited at the same time.

Hi All! My name is Diana and I’m brand new to homeschooling. I have 3 kiddos, two boys and a girl. I am leaning toward a mix of teaching styles. From what I’ve researched all the styles seem to have great aspects to them, and I’m hoping we can pull a little from all styles and find what works best for us. There are many reasons we are choosing to homeschool now, but one of our biggest reasons is because we found that because our children weren’t “troubled” or “problem children” they were left to fend for themselves in school while the teacher and staff attention were on the “troubled” children as their principal put it. I am hoping that the individual attention and really mastering concepts will help them excel. They are not behind by any means, and do really well in school, but they definitely just need more than what they’re receiving in public school. I’m really excited/terrified to get started, but I feel this will absolutely be best for my family.

Hello!
Ι have four children, two girls and two boys ages 8 – 5 – 5 -2. I’ve been a part-time homeschooler for two years now. I don’t officially homeschool becasue, here in Europe, it’s illegal! The upside is there really isn’t anything wrong with state schools. I am effectively teaching them English language because, if I don’t, they’ll never learn to read and write in English. We also do so much extra maths that, effectively, I’m part-time homeschooling. I’m really happy to share advice and offer any hints and tips to everyone else.

Hi, I have one daughter who is going into 4th grade. I am a teacher by past career, and have wanted to homeschool for many years. This year, God has blessed me to be able to do it. I am finding that I am a mix of styles, traditional for the most part, but I am loving some things about the Charlotte Mason methods as well.
I am gathering information and recommendations on curriculum. I thought I would be more interested in a box curriculum, but am finding out that I like all of the choices instead.

Hi. I am just beginning my journey into homeschooling. I have not even “officially”
begun. My primary reason is 3 weeks ago my husband passed away very suddenly from a severe asthma attack. Our 11 year old son was with him and had to call 911. When I got home from the store, Scott was conscious but quickly passed out, his heart and breathing stopped. I did CPR and he was on life support for 3 days, but then I made the decision to let him go once there was confirmation of no brain activity. My son will be going into 6th grade, a whole new school and, with COVID-19 still strong, he will begin virtually schooling anyway. So I figured, if he is going to be learning from home anyway…i would prefer it be on my terms, with curriculum that I trust is in line with our Christian values. I also work full time, but again, due to COVID-19 I have been doing a lot from home. I also have a wonderful boss and amazing team at my job who are very flexible and will work with me as much as possible to accommodate everything. (I work in mental health). I literally do not know what I am doing but I do feel God leading me in this direction. I have a ton of questions and apprehensions but I think given what my son has experienced, keeping him home is a better option.

My condolences on your sudden loss. Homeschooling your son will be a great way to monitor his mental health and to help you both navigate this difficult new path on your journey of life. Blessing to you and your family.

Hello! I am Keen!

1. How long have you been homeschooling?
    Since my children started school in 2014.
  2. How many children do you have?
    Two, ages are 11 and nearly 10.
  3. What teaching style do you like best? Charlotte Mason, Traditional, Eclectic, etc.
    We have been using Abeka video school but I don’t like it :grimacing: trying to look into other types.
  4. Why did you start homeschooling?
    Because I am a worry wart and didn’t want to send my children to public school. We also tend to move a lot and I don’t want to uproot them. I also don’t like the morals taught, as they don’t line up with our own Christian values.

Hi Everyone,

I am excited to find this group. I’m not really certain you would consider me a “true” homeschooler, but this is my, and my son’s, story. So, my son attended a small, private school through 8th grade. After 8th grade, we enrolled him at a small, Christian Homeschool Co-op. The Co-op is on a university model, so he goes to school on M, Wed, Thurs, and has home study days on Tu and Fri. For the last two years he has had a full, 6 class schedule, so we only had him do the courses that were offered at school. This year, there are only 3 classes (two of which are a Dual Enrollment classes) that he needs/wants to take at the school, so I am looking for alternatives.

Can our teaching style be traditional/eclectic? I choose this because he is used to a traditional style of school, but if I am in charge of 3 of his classes, I’m afraid it will be very eclectic;) We choose the Homeschool Co-op because we did not want our son exposed to all of the drama and worldly things that go on in public schools now and private high schools in our area seem to be very similar culturally to public schools.

Even though he is a rising Junior in high school, I feel there is so much I can learn from this group to help him make his last two years of high school great ones.

I’m excited to be be here and to share anything I can and learn lots!