Poll: What's your favorite math curriculum?

We are doing Horizons kinder math with my 4 year old also. I agree that the lessons have a lot of topics! I am not a fan of the teacher’s guide either. I have been thinking about trying MUS next year because of all the great reviews. I have the same concerns as you though. I don’t want her to get bored either. Has anyone else switched from horizons to math u see?

I did lesson 114 (I think) with my son this morning and used some place value manipulatives with him and explained things like they do in the Alpha MUS sample video. He has always gotten problems “right”, but it was like a light bulb went on! Then when we were doing addition on the bottom of the sheet he was doing something like 25-5= and said he didn’t know. I was about to tell him to use the number line provided, but instead used the manipulatives. Showed him 25. Then said take away 5 units. Again…LIGHT BULB ON! I think I have my answer! :wink: He will probably fly through some of Alpha, but I think it will be good for him. N

1 Like

Life of Fred saved us in the math department! We started it last year, and this is our first year to use it as our complete curriculum. Both my girls (6th and 4th) have gone from hating math to having it be their favorite subject. We all love it! My 4th grader is dyslexic, so I read the chapters to her, but that’s working really well. My 6th grader does it independently.

1 Like

We use Horizons until about the 4th grade and then switch to teaching textbooks. We love them both!

We tried Math U See for one year and my daughter did not like it. We used Horizons, but that wasn’t a great fit for us either. This year, we have been using Christian Light Publications and we LOVE it. It is divided into 10 smaller workbooks, called Light Units, each one having 2 quizzes throughout and a test at the end. My daughter loves finishing a book and moving on to the next. That visual of being done with something really motivates her. Little chunks and not one big book. We love it.

1 Like

I have been using CLE from grade 1 to grade 3 we are starting grade 4 but it has been a little time consuming in the sense that I have to teach a little one also and with language, reading and Math all needing my attention I was considering switching to Teaching textbooks, after looking at it I was wondering if it is too simplistic in comparison to CLE. Has anyone else made the switch and if so what did you think?

Has anyone tried MCP math? Any thoughts?

So far we have used abeka and it is such a solid program but my kids and I are all getting a little burned out. Debating between mus and TT for next year. Looks like there are good things about both. Help!

My two high schoolers use Teaching Textbooks (Algebra 1 and Algebra 2) and love it. It has been a great curriculum for them. My second grader, who is a very kinetic learner, is using Math U See and I couldn’t be happier. I LOVE how much review he does each week to practice old skills and the way the curriculum uses the manipulatives, even when studying time.

1 Like

I am trying to decide which math curriculum to use next year. My son will be in kindergarten. I am currently looking at Math-U-See and Shiller Montessori Math. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Tasha

My sons use TT and I’m considering switching to CLE. I just had my kids take the diagnostic tests and they both tested in about 1/2 yr behind. So, if you do want to switch, I would have them take the placement tests online so you are sure they are joining in at the appropriate level.

1 Like

practical Arithmetics by Strayer-Upton for 3rd-8th grades! :slight_smile:

We use MUS for one child and Math Mammoth for another. I love both programs and think they are both excellent. MUS sets a great foundation of mastery! mM also helps with Mastery but is a bit more challenging and faster paced IMO. Each fits my children’s learning styles very well.

I’m also looking forward to using Beast Academy with my advanced child.

We also use Math Mammoth. As @Jeepchick said, the manipulatives in MUS were one more thing to do. I also use Worksheet works to print off any review sheets I feel will be helpful.

Math U See! We have used Abeka for several years but my son really just was not retaining information…that was until we found Math U See!

hi, we are using CLE with some of our children. my daughter is grade 3 did switch in September to TT but she choose to go back to Christian Light. She found TT very slow, boring and easy and even though she often complained about Christian Light, she is much happier now that she is back working through the light units.

1 Like

@alimaree Hi there! I realize I am months late replying to your post :slight_smile: but I am considering switching from Horizons math (which we’ve used for 3 years now). I am at a loss for what to choose but Singapore has been a frontrunner for several reasons. One reason has been the critical thinking/mathematical reasoning skills. My daughter is in 2nd grade this year and I wondered if you were still really satisfied with the program and also if you purchase the Teacher’s Guide (the $32 guide) or only the Home Instructor’s Guide for your own guide/manual to go along with the textbook and workbook? We would be switching from a spiral program to this program, which from what I understand is more mastery-based. Do you find your child retains the information without a lot of review necessary? Thank you in advance for any answers/advice! :slight_smile:

@Forchristandkids
We liked Singapore a lot. My daughter switched to Teaching Textbooks this year for some increased independence while I work with her Kindergarten brother, but I am still using Singapore with him. My favorite part is the focus on mental math computation…something that I myself tend to be weaker in. My daughter’s mental math is fabulous!! I think that she retained the info very well despite the mastery approach. There were some review pages from time to time and you can always add some of your own review in between units. We used Kdg. through Level 2B…I can’t say it was super strong in critical thinking/reasoning…unless we are defining it differently. …although we did add the Challenge Word Problem book (which I think it out of print now) which definitely increased the critical thinking aspect of the program.

I didn’t use the Teacher’s Guide or the Home Instructor’s Guide. However, I was a 1st grade teacher prior to having children so I feel pretty confident with a variety of curricula. I’m sure that if I were to continue with the program I would probably want the Home Instructor’s Guide by 4th or 5th grade.

Best wishes in your decision!!

1 Like

Thanks so much for your reply! This is very helpful. I am still deciding, but this input is very valuable as I continue to weigh the options!

Math-U-See!!! It explains things so clearly and our kids love the videos! When we borrowed Primer to check it out and see if it would be a good fit, my 5 year old (at the time) watched the entire school year of videos in one sitting and kept saying how funny Steve Demme is. We met Steve at a homeschool convention, my daughter ran up to him while he was eating lunch. He was a genuine, great guy who graciously took time out of his lunch for every child who came along. He wasn’t at his booth, he wasn’t trying to sell them anything, just making his fans feel special. I think it is commendable how he treated the and amazing that a guy who teaches math in videos has so many true fans who love math and the Math-U-See guy.

Also from a practical standpoint with 3 kids at different levels (one 3 year old who isn’t ready for MUS), I could teach them math myself, I’ve always been good at it, but it is so helpful to have a subject that is largely self taught. I can work with a sibling one on one with a different individual subject while they work independently on math (they watch the videos), then I just grade and answer questions. In 3 weeks, no questions for Alpha or Gamma.