Poll: What's your favorite English/Grammar curriculum?

We like Rod and Staff. I like the way that they cover each topic. My son really likes this curriculum.

2 Likes

@kathleennj My son will be in third grade next year. He has had a good amount of grammar from using Abeka this year and he is a quick study when it comes to language. In your experience can a child start rod and staff in third grade without too much trouble? I really want to switch to it next year. Abeka doesnā€™t suit us and costs more than we can afford. Thanks!

Did you continue with Sonlight and supplement with BJU or did you switch entirely? I am currently using Sonlight Core B and thinking of supplementing with BJU English 2.

I started Rod and Staff English with my son in fourth grade. I actually started him in the third grade curriculum because I felt like he didnā€™t have a good base in understanding English Grammar. We moved quickly through everything that he did understand already and slowed down when we hit something he didnā€™t. He is in the middle of his 5th grade year and we are right on track using 5th grade English. He is doing very well and I feel that he now has a very good understanding of English. I recommend Rod and Staff and I know a lot of other homeschoolers who also think that they have a very solid English curriculum.

michelletown, you may want to check the scope and sequence or online samples for Rod and Staff to be sure you are starting your son at an appropriate level for him.

1 Like

Were still using the core just not the LA partā€¦ So were using readers, read alouds and historyā€¦

This sounds excellent!!!
Just checked them out on line (never heard of it before).
Thank you for introducing me to this curriculum! :slight_smile:

Questions:
1.Grade 1&2 the teacher books just looks like an answer key with no daily lessons, games or projects. Am I missing something? I do see the daily lessons and above mentioned categories starting in grade 3.

2.With what grades did you use this program?

I would like to know more about the grammar too. I was wondering if it was enough or if I should do First Language Lessons also

Hi. Could you tell me a little bit more about Voyages in English? I looked at the website and it looks great. Do you use the online version or the actual textbooks? What grades are you using it for? I know it says to 8th grade but I wonder if you could use it for 9th also?

We like Analytical Grammar for 6th and up. I have yet to find one I love for the elementary grades - weā€™re going to try Christian Light this next year.

Hey Marie,
Iā€™m new to this COAH forum, so I havenā€™t quite figured it out yet. I believe you are asking me about the Voyages program (though I could be wrongā€¦ still trying to get a hang of this thing). Anyway, if you are asking me about Voyages, I have used it for First Grade - Third Grade. It is a misleading teacherā€™s guide. The pages in the book coincide with the pages in the kids book, so it looks like they are the exact same, BUT, the first 6-10 pages of each ā€œchapterā€ or ā€œunitā€ of the teacherā€™s book has LOTS of info, daily story prompts, daily edits, books to read, etcā€¦ THEN in addition to this (and Iā€™m embarrassed to say my first year or teaching I didnā€™t know this part existedā€¦) in the BACK of the book are individual lessons and ideas to go with every single page in the book. I donā€™t understand why they didnā€™t put those directions and ideas in order next to each page being taught,ā€¦ In any event, I always have one sticky note sticking up on the kidsā€™ page we are currently on, and one sticky note sticking up at my directions in the back of the book. I hope this makes sense. You can always private message me if you want to know more. I love it, love it, love it. Not only am I impressed with the wealth of grammar knowledge my child has, but I LOVE the step by step directions for the matching writing assignment. :slight_smile:

I have used Voyages for First Grade - Third Grade. I have never used the online versions - always the teachers guide and the student guide. At first glance, the teacherā€™s guide is misleading - it appears to be nothing more than answers. The pages in the book coincide with the pages in the kids book, so it looks like they are the exact same, BUT, the first 6-10 pages of each ā€œchapterā€ or ā€œunitā€ of the teacherā€™s book have LOTS of info, daily story prompts, daily edits, books to read, etcā€¦ THEN in addition to this in the BACK of the book are individual lessons and ideas to go with every single page in the book. I donā€™t understand why they didnā€™t put those directions and ideas in order next to each page being taught,ā€¦ I simply keep one sticky note sticking up on the kidsā€™ page we are currently on, and one sticky note sticking up at my directions in the back of the book. I hope this makes sense. I love it, love it, love it. Not only am I impressed with the wealth of grammar knowledge my child has, but I LOVE the step by step directions for the matching writing assignments. Let me know if you have more questions. Iā€™d also be willing to copy/scan a few pages to your via email if you want to see some of the other pages. :slight_smile:

Tam - We LOVE Voyages - you are the first person Iā€™ve ā€œmetā€ who also uses it! :slight_smile:

I tell everyone about it. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. So easy to use and a quality academic product!

1 Like

Thank you so much. My daughter will be in 4th grade next year and this looks like it might be a good fit for us. My son is going to be entering his first year of high school, which is super nerve wracking. I need to find him a really good English curriculum. Wish it went to 9th grade!

1 Like

I looked this up and it does seem great. However, curious as to why most of the emphasis is on grades 3-8 and it seemed like grades 1-2 hadnā€™t been updated in awhile? I am discerning HSā€™ing my daughter next year and she would be a 2nd grader.

Miss Sully - I wish I knew the answer to your question, but I donā€™t. I can tell you that Iā€™ve used the current editions of both 1st and 2nd grade, and they are very current, bright, well mapped out, etc. Honestly I donā€™t know what they could even do to update it and make it better. Hope that helps :slight_smile: (and btw - like Iā€™ve said in earlier mentions of this curriculum, the teacher book is a must to get the most out of the curriculum - it has step by step directions for every page of the book (though these lesson directions are in the BACK of the teacher edition for some reason), it also has daily edits, daily story starters, as well as numerous other perks that the student book does not have. If you just get the student book then all you really have are daily worksheets. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™m not familiar with very many curriculum choices out there; what is LLAL?

Learning Language Arts through Literature

Language Arts, particularly grammar, usage, and mechanics is the subject that Iā€™m least comfortable with. I see many texts and workbooks that have diagramming in them and other confusing looking tasks! (Iā€™ve never done diagramming before!) I really want my kids to have some strength in these areas. So here is my question for you guys, do you know of any good resources for ME to brush up on my grammar skills so that I can be more accurate and confident teaching my kids? Iā€™d appreciate any advice.

2 Likes

We just started using the Writing With Ease curriculum this year. My oldest daughter (6th grade) is using the Writing With Skill also by Susan Wise Bauer.