Poll: What is your favorite history curriculum?

Has anyone used Mystery Of History? Reviews? Thinking of starting Volume 1 next school year.

We love Sonlight, which isn’t on the list. We’re using Story of the World along with it, and some other fun books both general (Pages of History) and specific (Adventures in Ancient Greece), not because you need to, but to make it last longer. We’re enjoying it a lot so far! I do love looking at other programs like Veritas Press for ideas of other books to add.

2 Likes

We love my fathers world. We are in our 5th year using it (the 5 year cycle plan) we will start over w/ my 2 youngest & we are excited about that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

We did Mystery of History Vol 1 this year. My kids have loved it (grades 4 and 1). I like that it includes the Bible in with history. The kids like the stories in it. I also read them stories from What Really Happened in Ancient Times when they line up with what we are studying. Looking forward to vol 2 next year.

1 Like

We are using Notgrass’s “America the Beautiful” this year. We’re not sure what we are doing for next year. DS will be a Freshman in High School and they say to graduate they need a year of Geography. So we are on the search to find a good Geography.

We are using Story of the World, Vol 2 this year and we all love it- kids are 8.5 and 6. We use library books to supplement reading and I found some great free lap books to use along with it each week- they’re on pinterest. Highly recommend!

2 Likes

We’re doing Little Hearts for His Glory right now, and using our stick figure drawings from Grapevine Studies to make a huge timeline. We love it–it’s my daughter’s favorite part of our homeschool day!

2 Likes

We will be using Road Trip USA which looks great to me and will help my kiddos learn more about their home culture as we are away doing missions, but I am also looking into using BJU in the future!

I plan on using Roadmap USA and SS unit study for first grade. I like Roadmap USA because of the different activities you have put in the program. My son wants to learn to Cook and that was another reason I’m looking at this program.

I am currently using Sonlight and the kids seem to enjoy it- but I am really digging Notgrass and can’t wait to try it down the road.

We love Heart of Dakota (HOD) for history so far. I look forward to adding Road Trip USA soon. We will work through it slowly as an add on to our regular history studies.

1 Like

Right now I am using books from the library and my daughter’s interests to make my own curriculum. She really enjoys the Magic Tree House books so we are letting that spark her interest in history topics.

1 Like

It was hard to answer the poll because I like Expedition Earth and Road Trip USA also, but our main History curriculum is going to be Heart of Dakota. (My son is still a little young, so we’re not “full on” homeschoolers yet.)

1 Like

It is so hard for me to decide on a curriculum for this subject. History is my favorite, and I am not sure where to go from where we are at currently. So K5 and 1st we used bede’s history of me/US. I like that it prepares their mind to learn history. Teaching them what a time line is and looking at different things with the time line format. Like one page is the history of jeans or Abraham Lincoln. Some of it is random but what they come to understand is that things change through out history and there is an order to it. We also did expedition earth from COAH. Loved it! Thinking about started USA Roadtrip and something else but I am not sure what. I love the idea of starting at creation and going through world history, but cannot decide. Or maybe I should stick to us history til my kids are older. I have a 7,5,3 year old. Suggestions appreciated.

I use two different history programs. For my younger boys we use Expedition Earth combined with “You Report!” by Master books. For my older boys we began using Notgrass History curriculum in 7th grade. I use America the Beautiful in 7th grade and Uncle Sam and You in 8th grade. I then switch to their high school courses. Exploring World History in 9th, Exploring America in 10th, and Government/Economics in 11th. The revised full color editions are great. Great history curriculum.

1 Like

We are using My Father’s World. The topics covered are age appropriate and fun, using various books and activities to learn. We loved the US History last year for second grade!

3 Likes

We are using Sonlight and have for 4 years now. We love all the books. We are also using Road Trip USA for added Geography.

1 Like

We use the History Odyssey from Pandia Press and my kids really enjoy all the readings and projects.

We’ve been using Stories of Great Americans along with A First Book in American History. I like the biographical focus but not sure my son is actually retaining a lot of historical data. That might not be an issue for 3rd grade as history is more of an overview at this stage.

I really like the Road Trip USA. Unfortunately the kids weren’t really getting into it so I had to set it aside for a little while.