Poll: What is your favorite history curriculum?

I would love to know how you plan to use MFW and MOH together. Also at what age do you think the child would need to be to combine them and not be too much for them? I used MFW this yr and really enjoying it. I am trying to plan next yr and already have MOH I have never used.

We use Veritas Press self-paced history and my girls (3rd and 2nd grade) absolutely LOVE it. They especially love the timeline songs and all the interactive games to help reinforce what they are learning. We are on our second year.

Visualize World Geography. Pricey but great!

Thanks for sharing this. Iā€™ve been looking for something for history and looks like my library has it. I want to check it out first before we buy it. :slight_smile:

We are combining it starting with ctg next year. I am not purchasing the test, but rather the cds since I have a bible/history lover. He will listen along with the cds after weā€™ve finished that portion in ctg. Itā€™ll be used more as a supplement than an edition. Especially since he will be young (3rd grade) for that portion of the cycle. I will probably refer to the text (friends have this) for additional projects or ideas, but since there are many ideas online I donā€™t think Iā€™ll need that.

We are excited to try Road Trip USA next year! I think itā€™s going to be awesome! Thanks COAH for putting it out!

Like so many others, we find Story of the World is great for littles to middles, but to keep us all on the same page, we use Biblioplan. It works for K-12, has American History and is oh so flexible! I can choose a spine of my liking or use the spine in the program.

Iā€™m happy to meet someone who loves history! Can I get some advice? I need a hands on history, I was thinking SOTW or MOH. currently using BJU and itā€™s not a good fit. Any suggestions?

Project Passport is a great hands on history course. We are using Middle Ages this year and we both love it.

We are currently doing the us history in mfw for second grade but I know some people use it for 1st grade if they plan on going in to the family cycle that mfw offers. I would recommend the tm and student sheets for sure. We have also used on a regular basis for the history lessons ā€œPioneers and Patriotsā€ and ā€œThe Story of the USā€. I believe theese two books are essential. Everything else ad far as read alouds could be supplemented through the library.

1 Like

This looks great- thanks for mentioning it. Iā€™ve been starting to look around for American History curriculum for next year and I was wondering if you could tell me how long each one of their unit studies takes? Would I be able to do all 3 of their American History units in one school year? Thanks!

We really enjoy the Beautiful Feet ministry units for history and social studies. Also independent unit studies are fun!

We are using Tapestry of Grace and loving it! But we have used My Fatherā€™s World as well and really enjoyed it too.

1 Like

Story of the World!!!
My kids (6, 4) beg (BEG) me for history. We use the text and activity book. We pick and choose the hands on activities, but the maps, review questions and narration prompts have been great.

Sorry I havenā€™t been on here lately and just noticed your replyā€¦

Intellego unit studies last as long as the child has interest in the material. Topics link to websites and each topic usually as a number of links to explore. You should be able to complete all the American History units for whatever grade level you are working on in one school year with time left over. I usually do all the history, US geography, and a civics or economics unit in one school year.

My 6 and 4 year old love SOTW. If you want to be hands on in your learning, I suggest buying the activity book. It includes review questions, map work, suggestions for additional reading, coloring pages, and lots of ideas for hands on activities. I havenā€™t used MOH so I canā€™t comment on itā€¦

I am considering both of these options. How do they compare? What are your likes/dislikes for each?

We use SOTW but I researched that and MOH. While both are set up to use with multiple ages it seemed that MOH would be better for an older student (and to bring along younger siblings) and SOTW was better if all your children are younger. Again, they can both be used with various ages, but MOH just seemed to have more information/details than I needed to teach my 7 year old. MOH is definitely on my radar for when we redo the cycle of history during the upper elementary/early middle school years.

Can I ask you what level of Abeka you finished? Did you use the history visuals and maps from Abeka?

Iā€™m going to start Old World History and Geography from Abeka. I love your ideas! Did you use that book? I would like to know if you did some projects or what you did to complement it.