Poll: What is your favorite Bible curriculum?

We LOVE Abeka’s bible curriculum!

We love Long Story Short by Marty Machowski. It’s just about the whole old testament. 5 lessons a week with bible reading and questions. They have a new testament study called Old Story New as well. It all centers on the macro story of the bible, the gospel, everything points back to Christ. Easy to do but in depth as well. 78 weeks worth of lesson so this is our second year doing this book, plus we break for advent study in Dec.

We have had fun this year with a What’s In the Bible dvd unit (Vol 1-13, I think) - going through the whole Bible in historical overview. The dvd’s come with questions to ask as well as a coloring page to copy (offered on their website as well). Plus, they could do Bible while I’m doing something else.

We have been using Bible Road Trip (free online to download) and it correlates with the What’s in the Bible DVDs (optional). I use it with my kindergartner and 2nd grader as it has options for multiple ages. I love that it is Bible centered and the kids love it. We watch a video clip once every other week and it also uses Window on the World (book) to learn about and pray for a people group around the world each week. It works great for us!

3 Likes

Has anybody used Veritas self-paced Bible course? I knew it because they started translating it and selling it in my country. I looked at their website and this course seems fun. I learned much from a sample course. But it’s too expensive. http://www.veritaspress.com/selfpaced/bible.html

We use CLE for our Bible curriculum. I’m currently using the fourth grade level for all of my kids. The grade kit comes with bite-sized booklets (5-10) and an answer key. We start our day with me reading the story/lesson to everyone. Then we collectively answer the questions together. The lessons are about 2-4 pages of reading and its written in a very engaging and understandable way. My kids, whose ages are 2-10, enjoy the stories. It is also VERY affordable! As grades progress they end up going through the entire Bible and they gradually include (starting at 6th grade I think), looking up verses and chapters in the Bible to complete lessons. After they read the Bible verses the lesson thoroughly explains the verses. The sets do come with quizzes and tests but I really don’t put any emphasis into them-we just use them to review what we have learned. I wanted a program that teaches the Bible in a loving, understandable, and interesting way and I plan on sticking with it next year too! You can look at samples for all grades on the CLE website if you are interested. It has been a blessing to my family!

1 Like

We LOVED the Dig too! i wish they could write more.

1 Like

Thank you for this review! We love CLE math and I’ve wondered about their Bible curriculum. My oldest loves the Light Unit format, so I think this might be a good fit for us.

We love Apologia’s Bible Curriculum. This year, we have a 6th grader, a 5th grader, a 3rd grader, and 2 2nd graders. With Apologia’s journaling notebooks and Jr. notebooks, we can all study together and have grade-level-appropriate work. We absolutely love it! We add Bible reading and lots of music to our Bible time as well.

What website can I find the free Calvert bible study?

Thank you for this post! I’m needing a bible curriculum

1 Like

I found Discover the Scriptures is a good fit for our family. It is good for multiple grade levels and it comes with activities and worksheets. Be warned, this is a LDS (Mormon) version and uses the KJV of the bible. It also has a Book of Mormon curriculum and church history. We have only been using it for a few months, but love it.

1 Like

I have to say that my sons favorite Bible curriculum is Grapevine Studies. I haven’t tried any of the others yet, as this is our first year homeschooling. I am looking at a few others for 1st grade, but love discussions like this so I can see what others think. He’s a very visual hands-on learner.

1 Like

We use CLE Bible too. I love the way they are written. Have only used first grade so far. I think what I like is that you have the Bible story in the TM, then you have a condensed version in their workbook. I have heard our daughter reading the Bible stories out of her workbook to her dolls when they have “class.”

1 Like

Haha! That’s so sweet!

I just ordered Kay Arthur’s “Discover 4 Kids” (from Precept) because I wanted something that my oldest daughter, 8, can do on her own. I think these are very doable. We have something else we do as a family, but I like how these seem to cover the concepts of how to study the Bible, and they are something that a child can do independently.

1 Like

I am really looking forward to doing Grapevine with my kids. I am going to get the traceable level 1 for my 5 year old but would you recommend level 2 or 3 for my almost 9 and 11 year old? I don’t want it to be too simple but I also don’t want to overwhelm them right out of the box…

Thank you so much for recommending this book. We have ordered Bible study for All Ages teacher’s guide, timeline and maps and labels. It’s the greatest bible curriculum I have ever seen. I don’t have children yet. So my boyfriend and I have started using it for ourselves to learn and I have to say it’s so fun and it has really helped a lot on memorizing Bible knowledge. I am planing to use it in the Sunday school at church. The children will love it!

We have just started using Bible Road Trip. My children are ages 8 & 10. They enjoy the What’s in the Bible dvd series and the notebooking pages we do with it. I think the Window on the World book is really helping them to get a biblical worldview. Looking forward to using it for the next 3 years.

@sonrisemom My children are ages almost 6 and 8 and they are learning so much from Bible Road Trip! A few times I’ve been tempted to go toward a more “flashy” Bible curriculum but each time I keep coming back to how foundational this is and how much they are learning and they truly enjoy it! So I never make a change :slight_smile: We switch it up with what children’s Bible we read from (we do use the 365 Greatest Bible Stories that is suggested in the material as the one we use most) and add in a coloring page here and there as well, but for the most part, it has everything we need. I find it takes us about two weeks to get through one of the “weeks” in the curriculum. And my kids love the What’s in the Bible videos too! I recently saw they had them on their Web site for $5 each! I took advantage of that and completed our set! And we like the Window on the World book too! It has really challenged me to talk with them about things I don’t think I would have thought to otherwise. It’s nice to chat with someone else who is using it :smile: