Homeschool Name

If you named your homeschool, how did you come up with a name?
Thanks,
Beachlover

We haven’t put an official name to our homeschool, but we recently decided we should. We have it narrowed to about five contenders. This article http://fivejs.com/how-and-why-you-should-name-your-homeschool/ has several tips on how to pick an appropriate name. We chose to incorporate a word that had meaning for us in our educational and spiritual endeavors.

Homeschool In The City!!! We live in Las Vegas :slight_smile:

Do homeschools need a name or is it a preference to have one?

We named ours because the state asks for a name on the form we fill out to become a private school. I used the article @bezona linked above and did a google search to make sure there wasn’t a school named that in our state. We named ours Seaside Christian Academy because we live by the ocean, we are a Christian school and family, and saying “academy” sounds classy. :smile:

4 Likes

Our state doesn’t require it…just did one to sound fun :wink: Eventually would love to start a blog with that name!! Show our journey in homeschooling, show others who are on the fence about it how amazing and challenging yet rewarding it can be :slight_smile: I want to show it can be fun for everyone!!! Don’t know about others but I used to have a vision on what homeschools/home schoolers looked like…weird, boring, kids with funky social skills, so on…so I want to also show it can totally be awesome & way better than the public schools :wink: And that my kids don’t seem or look “weird” because they’re homeschooled!! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks so much for the information!

The homeschool association that I am joining required you to have a name. It will go on transcripts.

Our state does not require a name, but I chose one anyway. It helps when requesting catalogs, especially for teachers resources, certain store discounts, and mostly for my kiddo. There are also times when I don’t have time to explain we are homeschoolers or don’t want to, so having an “actual name” helps. I chose mine very simply. When does learning happen?-all year long…January (Jan) thru December (Dec) …JanDec Academy tah-dah! Simple but effective.

1 Like

When my daughter was little she was at VBS and a woman was asking the kids where they went to school. My daughter couldn’t think of “homeschool”, so she said “mommy school.” The woman looked confused and said she never heard of that before! My daughter was so embarrassed that she said ‘mommy school’ and we would pick on her off and on about it. :smile: Last year we saw this super cute picture of a muskrat standing on his back legs really just looking pathetically cute. My daughter kept saying that it looked like her brother so we somehow morphed into the “Mommy School Muskrats.” To keep it from sounding ridiculous to others we simply call ourselves MSM Academy… and yes, we have tee shirts! :blush:

4 Likes

Hiya! We chose our homeschool name based on a similar interest that my son and I have: Star Wars. Our school name is the Jedi Training Academy: Home of the Padawan. He’s 7 and I’m sure, over time, we’ll have to change it, but it fits us for now, plus it’s fun.

I know we should probably have something a little more serious, but…well…we don’t. We like that it’s so fun! :smile:

3 Likes

I wish I’d have thought of that! Yoda I would be! We are Spring Mills Homeschool Academy. Name of a nearby subdivision. We homeschool. Academy sounds classy, as said above. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That is such a cute name! I love it! :smile: And the story makes me smile too :smile:

We named ours for fun: Penrose Academy. :slight_smile: Home of the ragin’ bobcats, or dragons, or well… we haven’t figured out our mascot quite yet. lol

1 Like

I never thought of t-shirts !!!

What do you do after you pick a name? How do you make sure no one else has the name? Does it have to be registered or something?

1 Like

I just google searched the name we chose to see if any other schools in our state had that name. We have to fill out a private school affidavit in our state so the school name goes on that form. If your state doesn’t have that then I would guess that there isn’t any other registration necessary.

Thanks! I live in Texas and I tried to find out if we needed a name and I couldn’t find any info saying we did. Texas is so lax in homeschool laws that I really don’t think we have to have one but it will still be fun to pick a name. Plus it will be needed for transcripts. Ugh! I’m already stressing about transcripts and my oldest is only going into 7th grade. At least I have a few years to go. :blush:

3 Likes

Ours was easy to name. We are The Fraggle School House! :wink:

2 Likes

I think thats awesome!!! Who says it has to be serious?? It’s your school…do what ya like!! Not what the majority would approve or accept :wink: Ahhh, the perks of homeschooling!!! Do what we want!!! :slight_smile: WooHoo!!!