Book suggestions for a reluctant reader

My son is in 1st grade and will be 7 in June. We were concerned with his reading ability, but he is slowly getting better and able to read bigger words. I’m not too concerned about it anymore, because I know some kids just take more time than others. He doesn’t have any interest at all in sitting down to read a book to me though. I have to actually tell him it’s time to read and then he only makes it through half of an early reader book(step 1). He does love being read to, so I have been trying to find books/series that will interest him that either he can read or I can read to him. Mainly “boy” type books that he can really get in to and hopefully forget that he is reading. :slight_smile: We already read the Boxcar series to him and his younger and older sisters. My husband is also reading Narnia to them at night when he can.
Does anyone have any suggestions? He has mentioned that he’d like to learn more about dinosaurs. That would mostly be me reading though because of the bigger words.

My son really enjoys:
Wimpy Kid Diary series
Origami Yoda series
Black Lagoon series
Ricky Ricotta’s Mighty Robot series
Geronimo Stilton series
also
Who Would Win series

Scholastic branches books are great reader books. He likes:
Notebook of Doom series
Kung Pow Chicken series

:slight_smile:

My son fell in love with reading when he discovered Geronimo Stilton.

1 Like

The Magic Tree House books are very popular as well. My son likes them but not as much as Geronimo Stilton.

My son is on a Minecraft kick so we are reading some of the novelizations of Minecraft. He also likes Lego movies books from the library.

2 Likes

I forgot about the LEGOS books! Those are loved by my son too - good call @beaniemom :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing! I’m so glad I asked. I’ve not heard of most of those!

Don’t forget he is only 7 and he may not have an interest in reading for another year or more. (I can say that because someone told me that same thing when I was in the same spot as you. :wink: ) Don’t push him. My youngest was a great reader with no interest. That changed around age 9. It’s a tough wait for us though. But, no regrets on my part for not pushing him because at age 10.5 he reads well above level and reads a good amount now. Great literary read aloud books will benefit him. :smiley:

1 Like

Totally agree! My 7.5 yr old loves the Minecraft books! I’d rather him read about it then watch it on YouTube:)

This post on the blog Sweetness and Light would be great help!

1 Like

This was a great post! Any suggestions either gender-neutral wise or girl-topic wise, in regards to books for a reluctant reader? :slight_smile: Thank you!!!

Oh yeah!
Also for girls Scholastic branches - my daughter loves
Missy Super Duper Royal Deluxe
Lotus Lane Girls
also
Thea Stilton books
Claude on the Slopes (etc) books
Agatha Girl of Mystery - books

She also loves Pinkalicious
and Fancy Nancy - lots of readers for both of these series.

For girls and boys forgot:
Stick Dog books (kids find these extremely funny)
How to Train Your Dragon books ( a whole series - completely different from movie!)

And Hhow about the “Adventures of…” Grandfather Frog or Old Mr. Toad - all the classic books about the Smiling Pool and the forest by Thornton Burgess. Those are all good too. :slight_smile:

Thank you SO much @sgrrrbear!!! :smiley:

1 Like

You’re welcome! :slight_smile: - I hope that helps :slight_smile:

@sgrrrbearwhat level reading is the How To Train Your Dragon series? My some reads at a grade 1 level, I’m assuming they are to Hugh for him to read by himself:(

@Luvmyboys - Here is the info I found about book 1: Book 1:
HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON: Heroic Misadventures of Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III

Reading Information:
Word Count: 30,774
Accelerated Reading level: 6.6 / points 5.0
AR Quiz: 78100
Lexile: 990

Might be a little advanced for a first grader :person_frowning:

Here is a link to all the Dragon Training books: http://goodbooksforkids-lists.blogspot.com/2013/03/how-to-train-your-dragon-reading.html

I found it on this blogspot - where they review all sorts of books for kids to read: http://goodbooksforkids-lists.blogspot.com/
They group by subject and reading level. :slight_smile: You might be able to find more books there. :slight_smile:

Here is a link to the first grade readers they have reviewed @Luvmyboys: http://goodbooksforkids-lists.blogspot.com/search/label/AR%201X

:slight_smile:

1 Like

@sgrrrbear Thank you Sugar! I found some books that my son may like:)

1 Like

My son loved Owl at Home & Frog and Toad are Friends.

1 Like

@Luvmyboys - Good, I am so glad! :slight_smile: