Writing Curriculum Help

Hi. My son is not liking IEW. He despises the outlines. He says it is like fingernails on a chalkboard. He is dyslexic, 10-1/2. Any recommendation?

1 Like

Write at home. :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:. We had the same issues here

1 Like

Hi, Maybe try doing the outlines verbally with him. So for example he tells you what he wants to write and you write it on a white board or something that he can see. You can also discuss/help him with ideas etc. That way he’s participating in the outline but not having to focus on handwriting and brainstorming at the same time? Hope that helps!

2 Likes

We had a similar situation. Essentials in Writing by Matthew Stephens worked out well for us. Here’s a review that I did awhile back. I hope you find a good solution for your son!

1 Like

For my son it would be the same. He prefers dictating to me or the computer and having me type it so he can focus on his thoughts instead of the mechanics of writing. Writing, spelling, and concept formation are three different neurological tasks which makes it hard for dyslexic kids who use their brains differently already. Susan Barton has a great facebook video chat that talks about why kids kids don’t use their spelling rules in their schoolwork when writing. She talks about the different functions.

1 Like