Wondering about MY Fathers World

I’m thinking of switching my 2nd grader to My Father’s World. I will have a 5th grader, 2nd grader, and kindergartener soon. I would like to combine some of their studies yoo.
We have used Abeka for the past 5 years for most of our main subjects. I like how simple and easy it is to follow, but I think my 2nd grader needs something different. She doesn’t seem to fit the “traditional workbook style” of schooling. She’s very creative, artsy and doesn’t like a lot of workbook time. I like how MFW emphasizes biblical character and incorporates the Bible throughout. It doesn’t seem quite as easy to navigate through the curriculum though and it’s more expensive.
Any advice?

We switched to MFW this year so that we will be able to combine many subjects using the learning cycle with our 4 kids through the years (currently 4th grade, 2nd grade, Pre-K and due in November). We just started Exploring Countries and Cultures today. Keep in mind that it can be easily adapted to suit your family, if you find something too complicated you can always skip it or adapt it. I was also concerned about the cost, but I was able to find all of the books that I need used. I purchased 2 sets of student sheets for my 4th and 2nd grader and the Teacher supplement new from MFW (the cost of new and used materials came out to about half the price of buying the whole set new). I also found passports and flag stickers on Rainbow Resource that weren’t identical, but were enough cheaper that I went with them instead. I decided to forego the currency kit, as we can look up the exchange rate and what the currency looks like online. We will also be using the curriculum a few times now if we like it, which certainly makes it seem like a better value.

As to the complexity, there are multiple books that you use for different assignments which takes some getting used to, but it is all planned out for you. I didn’t go with all of their recommendations for math and language arts so I had a bit of extra planning to do.

I’m not sure how MFW compares to Abeka, but we are on week five of adventures and loving it so far. My daughter is also very creative and I feel like this is a good fit. There are some fun projects, good literature, hands-on science experiments and not a lot of busy work. My 5-year-old son also does the science, history and bible with us and I have been amazed at how much he enjoys it and is learning.
We already had programs we liked for L.A and math so we aren’t using the ones they recommend, but the way the programs are set up its an easy switch. I feel like it is very easy to navigate too.
It is kind of pricey if you buy it new but I bought the deluxe set used for under $200. Then just purchase new student sheets for my 2nd grader online. There is a My Father’s World Curriculum Exchange facebook group that you can join if you are looking to buy used or you could try Ebay.

This will be my 5th year of using My Father’s World and we love it. We started with Exploring Countries and have made it all the way to Modern World. My kids love how it is not just boring workbooks and they can be very creative. I love how the bible is incorporated throughout every part. We used the math and LA recommendations part of the first year but haven’t used it since. It was my first year and I had no clue what I was doing. Now we use Math-U-See, Spelling-U-See and BJU English. I love how everything is laid out for me. It makes the first year so much easier.
There are TONS of curriculums out there and every year I wonder if I should try something else just because there are so many options. But, then I remember how my kids love it and they are truly thriving. That is the most important thing. You will come across tons of different opinions on every curriculum out there but once you find what works, you will know. I hope this helps a little bit.

Good Luck and try not to get too overwhelmed!!
Christina

1 Like