Why I homeschool...What about you?

I have been doing a lot of reading lately on homeschooling in general. Despite having many concerns, I have decided to continue into my 2nd year of homeschooling and I am so excited. The main reason that I want to continue to homeschool isn’t because of our faith, though God is our priority in life, and it isn’t because of academics. My kids simply asked me to do so and after giving it a try last year, I realized that I am continuing mostly because I want to treasure their sweet faces while I can. I have also witnessed an amazing transition in my 9 year old. She is her true self again…a little girl! She no longer cares about what she wears and she likes things such as princesses without caring if others will make fun of her for being “babyish”. It was something I hadn’t even dreamed of but seeing her be a real kid again has been such a blessing.

I guess I don’t really have a question. I just felt like commenting and seeing if there is anyone else out there who feels the same. I know that you all love and treasure your babies. Isn’t it great to hold them for as long as we can?!

9 Likes

Definitely! It is not the main reason we homeschool but I am reminded daily of what a blessing it is to be with my son during these years.

1 Like

I agree that it is definitely one of the many great joys of homeschooling! I think God knows best and His plans are always best, and it encompasses so many different aspects of which we can rejoice over and discover as we obey Him. That is what I believe.

1 Like

I agree with you @mlnunes There are so many perks to homeschooling. I think that my kids are staying quite a bit more innocent longer. They all enjoy cartoons and do not ask to have the latest clothes. I think we save so much money by getting clothes at yard sales and the Salvation Army and I don’t think I would always be able to do that if the kids were in school. I love my kids being home with me. There are some days when I really do miss the career I had but kids are only kids for such a short time. I feel very fulfilled as a homeschool mom and I’m blessed to be able to spend this bonus time with them that others may not be able to do. I agree with you, its great to see a kid being a kid!

2 Likes

My oldest has a few learning problems and needs much more time and one on one attention! But I mostly did it because I don’t want my kids spending 90%of the day with someone else teaching them. They enjoy homeschooling and so do I so we make it work!

2 Likes

We started because of major changes in our household. In 2013 my stepdaughter who I had raised full time since age 5 decided to live with her absentee mother and we began the journey, because I didn’t feel it was fair to my kids 14, 7 and 1 to have to hid how they may be feeling on any given day or risk getting in trouble for acting our. 2013/2014 school yr was a huge success and we stuck with it. August of 2014 my son passed away unexpectedly while away at football camp, so besides the previous year being a success we are now committed to being able to really know our kids and cherish the time that we have them.

3 Likes

cshogran, I am so deeply sorry to hear of the pain you have experienced. My prayers go out to you and your family. If you ever need to talk, you can reach out to me anytime.

Homeschooling is such an amazing, wonderful journey! There are ups and downs, but I have treasured being able to know my kids, share great books with them, and disciple them over the years. Here are reasons why we homeschool.

1 Like

Thank you, Merry. I enjoyed reading your page.

1 Like

We decided ultimately to homeschool bc we felt we could give them a better solid foundation in the core subjects. A lot of kids get lost in the 25-30:1 student/teacher classes and I didn’t want our kids to get lost and wondering how to do basic math in higher grades or Struggling with basic phonic & language concepts, etc. I struggle daily with thinking “am I making the right choice, will they miss out on close friendships?” Probably bc I get asked that a lot when people hear that our family homeschools, so I start 2nd guessing myself. But they surprise me everyday with the close bond they have formed within our family unit, and we do get out and meet other families and kids and they have no problem making friends. It is fun to be involved with what they are learning and see them change during the years.

2 Likes

J_momof3 it is nice to hear that I am not the only one who second guesses myself. :slight_smile: I agree that is is great to see the siblings bonding with one another.

Started because my oldest son has severe life threatening food allergies to dairy, egg and peanuts. I didn’t trust anyone else to keep him safe. Continuing because we love the freedom! Love the time freedom, freedom to choose what and how we learn, freedom to explore the world. I love being with them and seeing them grow. We did a year in a private school last year. Thankfully my youngest was in my class (I taught K) but I missed being with my boys all day. It was a hard year for all of us even though the school itself was wonderful.

3 Likes

I love this topic! It’s very important to know why you are homeschooling, so when you start to waiver you can remember why you are doing it and push on.

Here are the reasons why Erica and I homeschool: :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you. I appreciate it. If you are on Facebook we have a memorial page set up where we keep people updated on the scholarship fund we set up and post memories etc… It is William Shogran Jr Memorial

1 Like

I will check out the Facebook page for sure. Thank you.