When to start language lessons?

My son is in Kindergarten this year and we are doing All About Reading 1. Next year we will do AAR 2 and All About Spelling. When do you add on the language lessons for sentence structure, parts of speech, etc? We have kept this year simple, so I don’t want to overwhelm him next year with too much. Just wondering…

We started AAR Level 1 in Kindergarten for both of our older children. We waited to start grammar, language lessons, parts of speech, etc. in 1st Grade and it seemed to work well. Our oldest child, our daughter, is now in 2nd grade. She started with a free downloadable curriculum for worksheet-based grammar lessons in 1st grade as well as using the Well Trained Mind First Language Lessons in 1st Grade, and now in 2nd Grade she is doing Level 2 of FLL as well as G.U.M. Drops for Grades 1-2 (which I highly recommend!). Our son is in Kindergarten this year and he is completing AAR Level 1 now and will start his grammar lessons next year in 1st Grade following this same plan. I hope this helps! :slight_smile: We also alternate between AAR and AAS, teaching them one after the other like you are doing. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi West Family,
We have chosen to wait to do sentence structure until 2nd grade. And even then it’s very basic (capitalize proper nouns,adjectives, punctuation and writing/copying sentences).

We incorporate it using IEW’s (Institute for Excellence in Writing) Bible Heroes curriculum (http://iew.com/shop/products/bible-heroes-writing-lessons). My 2nd grader is also doing AAR Level 2 and next year I intend to incorporate AAS while switching it up with the writing curriculum I mentioned. IEW puts out a free publication and you can sign up for it on their site.

In my experience, simple is better at this age/grade. By 4th or 5th grade is when I really step it up.

1 Like

@Forchristandkids Thank you for mentioning G.U.M. Drops! I checked it out and it is exactly what I’ve been looking for!

@Rarasmama I am so glad!!! I was thrilled when I found it last year and my daughter absolutely loves it! And I have to say it is definitely serving its purpose! It definitely gets her interested in reading the books she is editing passages from and she is excited to look for the grammatical errors/missing items each time. She is really learning with it and I was so glad to find that it was so affordable! We have been using it all year this year and I already ordered it for next year too :slight_smile: I am so glad you like it!