When to start History? Science?

I was going over our curriculum choices for next Fall (my 7 yr old will be 2nd grade) and I mentioned I wasn’t going to do much History. We do have some picture books that talk about what people used to wear, what they ate, houses they lived in, etc. I figured we could go over that stuff but didn’t really need to start much History yet.

My husband got all worried and said, Well I think we need to think about this. When do they teach History in the “good public schools”? LOL. That was funny hearing from him because the vision for homeschooling came from him. I understand. He just wants to make sure we’re covering everything and thinks we need to do all the subjects, all the time.

Anyway, I guess I’m open to teaching History and Science, I just wanted to keep it simple next year. He’s a bit behind on reading so we’re gonna keep focusing on the basics as well as that.

What are some thoughts about what History to teach and when to begin it?

Thanks.
Rebecca

Public school usually starts with “social studies” but it’s not all history, geography and culture are also included. In general they start with teaching about your neighborhood/city and work outwards. Also in high school history is usually re-taught from the beginning.
So for elementary it is really up to you, your interests, and wether you have a curriculum you like. Personally I started with geography for 2nd and 3rd grade.

The schools I’ve taught at and in my own homeschooling all began with kindergarten. Kids love science and history, and when they are young it can be as simple as reading some good books and doing crafts the correlate. I don’t think you can start too soon.

I think you can begin history when you feel it will be best for your family. It’s not something like math that necessarily builds upon itself. We began more of geography and cultures with our kids in K and 1st (somewhat of how you described it) and then began chronological history- I am a history person myself and have one child that loves it. Because we do these subjects together, my younger children are being exposed at an earlier age than my older guy. But we find history fun and do lots of hands on experiential type of things with it.
As for science we began that early on with simple experiments and learning that way in K and now do a bit more, but still a living text. Again this is fun for us with one of mine who loves science (and even I’m loving it with our current curriculum selection!).
I think that the more serious study of these things are more for later elementary, middle school,and high school years. Fun for now! If your child is interested then go with it, otherwise I wouldn’t stress over it.

Which science curriculum are you using?

We got a book from Apologia last year but didn’t even open it yet. We plan on using that this year but he’s also taking a science class at our local co-op.

We are currently using quark chronicles botany which we absolutely love. It’s a science fiction living book. Well written and I add in some free projects I find on Pinterest to reinforce the ideas discussed. It is a science fiction type of book about 4 kids who were kidnapped by space pirates and love aboard a fish spaceship. They are on the search for earth And along the way learn along the way. In botany they are going to other planets trying to find a food source and learn about plant life along the way.

I’m not sure the grade level that they suggest to use it for but I’ve been using for my advanced 1st grader and 3rd grader with a tag along pre-ker. We are definitely a literature loving family and my kids read and comprehend well above grade level (which is why I’m not certain of grade level for it). We do it as a read aloud one day and then a hands on the next.