When is your school start date and why?

Hi,

First year as homeschoolers here and we started school today, July 31st. Seems crazy “early” to my traditional schooling friends, but it allows us to take breaks and extended field trips when appropriate for our 6 week units. It also allows us extra Winter Holiday :snowman_with_snow: time, a spring break :parasol_on_ground: and we still get out by the first week of May. :tada: Figured if it’s crazy hot outside anyway, might as well use the time indoors wisely! :sun_with_face:

Would love to hear when you start and why…and of course, feel free to respond if you’re year round and why too. Always open to new options!

Thanks!
Jen :heart:

2 Likes

We begin the last week of August. We always want to begin at the beginning of August, but we take a 2 week vaca in the middle of August every year, so it just makes sense (to me) to wait until we return. Public schools just started today, and my kids are begging to start, too. :slight_smile: We always finish in May… when exactly depends on how many vaca days we take during the year… sometimes more than others. Happy Back-to-School :grinning:

1 Like

We are year-rounders here. I learned long ago that taking long breaks is anathema to my kids. We take a few days here and there but for the most part, mine are doing some kind of schooling 6 days a week (math on Saturdays and any work not completed during the week). My kids will tell you they have Sundays and Christmas Day off. :):grinning: This allows us to cover more ground (which mine need since the boys started schooling late–bit of a story there) and to not fret so much over squeezing things in.

2 Likes

First year homeschoolers also! We are starting on Monday the 7th. Mine have been out of school since the beginning of April, so I am very ready to start a routine again. Good luck with your first year!!

2 Likes

I had hoped to start last week (July 31st) but we got sick so I postponed a week. We start back tomorrow! For the most part we do 6 weeks on / 1 week off, but I move things a bit to accommodate holidays. School starts early here so we are starting back with the public schools, but that wasn’t a consideration in my plan. We will end in mid July and take 2 weeks off for me to plan for the next year.

1 Like

This is our second year and my first year with two students. We started two days a week this past week (the first of August). I’m due in November and wanted to add in some extra days now so we can be casual about school when the baby arrives.
We went from Sept to May last year and that worked well. I think a lot about year round schooling though.

2 Likes

We are starting on Aug. 15th this year which is when our options program starts. It’s just easier for us to kind of go along with our school districts calendar. So we take a winter, spring, and summer break :slight_smile:

1 Like