What's in your library?

I am trying to read every good book out there right now that will help prepare my mind and heart for homeschooling!! I needs TONS of encouragement, tips & tricks, and even a few good laughs to prepare me & to have around during those hard long days that will come :slight_smile: What book(s) do you HIGHLY suggest???

1 Like

I am reading ā€œUngluedā€ by Lisa Turkhurst currently. As a wife, home-maker and homeschooling momma, it is easy to get frustrated. I find that this book is helping me to take a look into my reactions to a hard day and adjust my own attitude accordingly. There are so many other books I am looking into reading as well. Also look up Carol Barnier, a homeschooling momma with a wit that is fun to read and glean off of.

3 Likes

All Sally Clarksonā€™s books were encouraging. God actually put the idea of homeschooling when my oldest daughter was a baby through her books.

3 Likes

I second the Sally Clarkson recommendation!

Honey for a Childā€™s Heart. This is an amazing book that helped me understand what good ā€˜livingā€™ books are from an author who is passionate about books! It also has great book lists for all ages of children. I love it!

2 Likes

(Iā€™m still trying to learn this posting thing, lol) I wanted to say thanks for sharing your opinion on ā€œUgluedā€. I have been meaning to read it and just ā€œhave not had timeā€. But I think what it really means is that I need to make the time. I hear itā€™s a great book. Thanks again!

I love ā€œOne Hundred and One Devotions for Homeschool Momsā€ by Jackie Wellwood. Not having a lot of time to read a ton of stuff, this devotional helps me tremendously when I feel like having a pity party for myself.

1 Like

The Reading Promise and teaching from rest amazing books and great for newbies like me

1 Like

Well, we are classical method - so Well Trained Mind is a must for usā€¦ it helps me keep focused. :slight_smile: Iā€™ll have to check out these other books!! thanks!

2 Likes

I have lately really enjoyed The Living Page by Bestvater and Consider This by Glass.

1 Like

Kisses from Katie by Katie Davis. It is written by a young girl that went to Africa to be a missionary. It is an amazing true story.

1 Like

I saw the reviews for ā€œTeaching From Restā€, ALL great reviews!! It seems to be that one book all homeschool mamas wished they had read before beginning their journey! So glad to know this :slight_smile: Thank you!!!

For Momā€¦and Dadā€¦and self discipleship
The Best Yes by Lysa TerKeurst
Jesus Calling By Sarah Young
1,000 Gifts by Ann Voskamp
Women Living Well by Courtney Joseph
From Mercy to Melons, Praying through the Alphabet by Lisa Hickman

For Mom and Dad and your childrenā€™s discipleship
Shepherding A Childā€™s Heart by Tedd Tripp

For your Kids to readā€¦
Jesus Calling for Kids by Sarah Young (There is also a preschool and teen version)

1 Like

It took me awhile to respond to this post because I wanted to pull all my books out and also my list of suggestions from other homeschool moms that I havenā€™t been able to get to.(but hope to in the near future)
These are the ones Iā€™ve read and recommend:
Seaons of a Motherā€™s Heart by Sally Clarkson
The Homeschool Experiment by Charity Hawkins
One Hundred and One Devotions for Homeschool Moms by Jackie wellwood
Teaching in Your Tiara by Rebecca Frech
Simply Homeschool by karen DeBeus
Back to Basics: raising Self sufficient Children by Barbara Frank

These have been recommended to me:
Homeschool Diaries: For Better or Worse by Brenda Rufener
Overcome Your Fear of Homeschooling
Grace For the Homeschool Mm by Tamara Chilver
Secrets of a Successful Homeschool Mom by Jamie Martin
Called Home: Finding Joy in Letting God Lead Your homeschooling:
Hope for the Heart of the Homeschool Mom
Homeschool basics:Christian Homeschooling in a Classical Style
Simplify Your Homeschool Day by Tamara Chilver

1 Like

Awesome!!! Thank you so much for this list :slight_smile: Canā€™t wait to get going on all this reading!!!

1 Like

I have found a book(have it on hold at the library) called The Brainy Bunch by Kip and Mona Lisa Harding. Has anyone ever read this? Itā€™s about a homeschooling family with 10 kids and 6 of the 10 made it to college by age 12. It looks really interesting.

1 Like

Will have to look in to this one :slight_smile:

I think Love the Journey by Marcia Somerville (Lampstand Press) is a wonderful read - especially for classical homeschoolers, but great for any Christian homeschooler.

The Joyful Homeschooler by Mary Hood is great book for Christian unschoolers (a little too unstructured for me but I love how she cultivates a love for learning).

I also liked Flourish - Balance for Homeschool Moms, by Mary Jo Tate (Apologia). This has a section for work at home moms, too.

I really want to read Educating the Whole Hearted Child!

1 Like

Just finished ā€œTeaching From Restā€!!! AMAZING book!!! So happy you suggested it!!! Thank you again!!!

It is a great book and I am so glad you liked it. Her Read Aloud Revival is also great

1 Like