What do you hold onto for records if they're needed later on? And do you test your younger kids? Recording attendance?

I am starting our first homeschool year this year and we live in Michigan so there are no strict requirements regarding testing and grading, but keeping records are encouraged.

Just in case something happens to where we have to put our girls back in public school I wonder what I should keep or record to show proof of what grade they should be placed in?

Regarding tests I’d use tests that come with our curriculum as reviews instead of actual tests but I think I would like to grade my daughters’ work for my own “report cards”. To which they probably wouldn’t see the grades but I think maybe it’d give me a sense of how well they’re doing.

I don’t know, I feel dumb lol T_T how do you guys grade and test, if at all?

When we get into highschool levels I know nothing about transcripts or testing there either. Michigan also doesn’t require standardize testing.

What good programs/sites etc. do you guys know of for grading and transcripts?

I found this on HSLDA’s website for Michigan. How would you record attendance? Like it seems obvious and simple but sort of not at the same time. Do you record attendance in your homechool?

We’ll be planning for a 4 day week/ year round schedule.

"HSLDA recommends that you keep detailed records of your homeschool program. These records may be helpful if you face an investigation regarding your homeschooling or your student needs to furnish proof of education.

These records should include attendance records, information on the textbooks and workbooks your student used, samples of your student’s schoolwork, correspondence with school officials, portfolios and test results, and any other documents showing that your child is receiving an appropriate education in compliance with the law. You should maintain these records for at least two years. You should keep your student’s high school records and proof of compliance with the home education laws during the high school years (including any type of home education notice that you file with state or local officials) on file forever."

**Oh and we’ll be starting workbooks next year when my girls will be 9 and 4. They are currently 8 (she would be going into 3rd grade if still in public school this year) and 3. and we’ll just be working on the deschooling period then working on whatever interests my girls along with free printables for various things. Also really utilizing our local library for books for whatever they’re interested in. For example my oldest daughter is really into oceans and sea life so we’ll be learning a lot about that area this year. We don’t have the finances until next year to buy workbooks and wanted curriculum.

IWhen I started I got a lot of information about curriculum from homeschool buyers co-op check it out. For history I strongly suggest verita press self - paced course - Explorers - 1815 - and 1815 - present. they are a Christian online school but - that particular course part 1 and 2 did not teach nor refer to any doctrine or any particular religious inclination it was just history. I loved it … my son loves it ! Check it out !!! They have a sample video . Seriously check it out don’t let this one go. Keep homeschool simple. Read teach from rest please! And also if able to reAd teach like Finland -