What are your favorite read aloud books for early elementary?

My children are in 1st and 3rd grade. I enjoy reading aloud to my children while they eat their lunch. What are some of your favorite read aloud books for that age group? Thanks!

1 Like

My daughter enjoys Beverly Cleary’s books. We’ve read all the Ramona books and are now on the Mouse and the Motorcycle series.

My kids love the Children’s Book of Virtues from William Bennett, and the Little House series.

1 Like

My son really enjoyed Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Indian in the Cupboard, Danny the Champion of the World, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, James and the Giant Peach, and Ralph S. Mouse.

1 Like

ooh love some of these too! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Reading Anne of Green Gables right now

1 Like

@NicoleA We really liked Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White (same author of Charlotte’s Web). We are reading Swiss Family Robinson now. We also read The World of Pooh (which includes all of the classic stories copyright 1957) and Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH (they really liked that one!) and this was all with our two oldest kids in grades K and 2nd grade. These are some of our favorites so far :slight_smile:

We loved 100 dresses. Has a great message.

1 Like

So far we have started Tom Sawyer with my kindergartener & he loves it! Thanks for all the wonderful ideas!

1 Like

My kids love The Magic TreeHouse series, Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, Stuart Little, Charlotte’s Web, Wind in the Willows and Chronicles of Narnia are all favorites too!

@NicoleA At that grade, our children enjoyed The Little House on the Prairie Series, Farmer Boy, The Littles, Frog & Toad, Amelia Bedelia, Danny the Dinosaur & Charlotte’s Web to name a few. :smile:

if you visit this page here on Sonlight’s website you can select an age group for suggested Read Aloud books

2 Likes

My Father’s Dragon
The Boxcar Children
The Hundred Dresses
In Grandma’s Attic
The Story of Dr. Doolittle

1 Like

Rosemary Sutcliffe’s versions of the Iliad and Odyssey (Even my 4 yr old loved these)
Little House Books
Black Beauty
EB White (Stuart Little, Charlotte’s Web, Trumpet of the Swan)
The Water Babies
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh
Phantom Tollbooth!

Tumtum and Nutmeg!
This book is a great price and is over 500 pages of the cutest little mouse stories! My first grader and four year old love them. http://www.amazon.com/Tumtum-Nutmeg-Adventures-Beyond-Nutmouse/dp/0316075744/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462232008&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=tumtu+and+nutmeg

The Littles
The Borrowers
Nate the Great
The Cholcolate Touch
Paddington Bear

1 Like

My daughter is 6 yrs old reading at above grade 3 level and my little one just turns 3, does anyone have suggestions/tips on how to select read aloud books when there’s a wide age/reading level gap? Thank you!

What’s their attention span like? Are they good listening to chapter books?

If so, I loved Junie B. Jones (and I have boys…didn’t matter…they loved it). My son loved the Magic Treehouse and Origami Yoda books (and I liked them too). At that age I loved the Little House series and The Little Princess and Secret Garden. The Ordinary Princess I think would be great too (I found it later, but would have liked it earlier I think).

If they aren’t at that attention span yet (my nearly 2nd grader is just getting there), I have a bunch of picture books I can suggest.

1 Like

@momof3 Those are sooooo cute! I would LOVE those for my dd. Thanks! :relaxed:

The Wizard of Oz and My Father’s Dragon were both fun read alouds from last year.

We just finished Matilda and all 3 of mine, 6, 9 and 11 loved it!