Welcome! Let's get to know each other!

Hello fellow homeschool moms! My name is Jenny. I am a homeschool mom of 2 girls ages 8 &10. We have been homeschooling for 5 years. We live on a farm & enjoy spending lots of time outdoors! We like to be eclectic when it comes to our curriculum. We use some traditional, classical & a whole lot of Charlotte Mason resources. My children love hands on projects so we try to include them as much as possible. Love the idea of the forum! Happy Homeschooling to you all!

2 Likes

HI! Iā€™m Ashley. My husband and I have 3 children: Lauryn just turned 13 and is our horse crazy, easy going, awesome big sister; Mallory just turned 11 and is our hyper, funny, clogging golfer; Rachel Anne is 3 and loves life, the color blue and baby carrots with mustard. :smile: I started homeschooling two years ago when my oldest baby was getting ready to start middle school. My husband and I visited a few private schools, and he suggested homeschooling. The thought had never even crossed my mind, so I began to pray about it. Two years later, I canā€™t imagine anything else! I will be homeschooling our middle daughter, too, this next school year as she enters 6th grade. We also lean more towards a traditional/eclectic mix, although I still feel like Iā€™m trying to figure out what exactly we like! When my husband isnā€™t working from home, he is traveling all over the world, so Iā€™m so excited about the opportunities we will have to go with him once our middle daughter starts homeschooling. Iā€™m excited about this forum and for learning from all the other mommies out there!

1 Like

Hi all! My name is Janelle. I have two kiddos ages 5 and 2. I began homeschooling my daughter in September using the COAH K4 Curriculum and adding in some of my own activities throughout. Up until last summer, I didnā€™t think I could homeschool my kids. I didnā€™t feel qualified and I didnā€™t think I would be disciplined enough to persevere for an entire school year. I knew I didnā€™t want to send my kids to public school, but I had always thought I would do cyber school. (Keep them at home, have someone else do the teachingā€¦) However after talking to a friend who had done cyber school for her kindergartner and then switched to homeschooling and doing some research on my own about the differences between cyber school and homeschool, I began to feel a tugging on my heart that homeschool was what I needed to do.
My daughter was 4 at the start of the school year (turned 5 in November), so I decided to take this year as a ā€œtest-runā€ to see how it worked for us. Thatā€™s one reason why I chose Ericaā€™s K4 curriculum. The other big reason being that the lesson planning was already done for me!
Seven months in and I can say with confidence that this ā€œtest-runā€ has been nothing but total affirmation that this is what I should be doing for our kids and our family. My husband is behind me one hundred percent, which makes the decision that much easier.
Next comes the hard part - choosing my own curriculum and doing my own planning for next year! I will be attending my first Christian Homeschool Association of Pennsylvania (CHAP) Conference in May and I am looking forward to perusing the curriculum options and attending some great seminars!
I am excited to join this community to glean as much information as I can and receive encouragement and inspiration from other homeschooling families!

2 Likes

Hi everyone! My name is Chris and my husband and I have three energetic children: Gillian (daughter) in 2nd Grade, Levi (son) in Kindergarten, and Jasper (son) 2 1/2 years old. We live in beautiful East Tennessee and have been homeschooling since our first child started school three years ago. We are fairly traditional, I guess youā€™d say. We pick and choose curriculum rather than going with one specific company or style. I am a freelance editor and work at home from time to time (when I can fit it in). We homeschool somewhat year round with a bit of a longer break over the summer. My husband works ministering to college students at a Christian liberal arts university. My undergraduate degree is in Childrenā€™s Ministry and I completed some graduate work in Educational Ministry before working in Christian publishing and then inner-city mission work with youth before becoming a mom. All of these experiences helped prepare me for homeschooling in unique ways, and I love homeschooling! We chose to homeschool because when we looked ahead to imagine our children all grown up and ready to leave home at 18 years old, we could see a picture of the kind of people we knew God desired them to beā€“what kind character and faith He longed for them to posses. And when we saw that, we knew that homeschooling provided us the best chance for helping to shape them into that person in the long run. It would give us the most amount of time with them, the most opportunities for the most conversations. In short, for us, we knew it provided the best chance we could offer them. I am excited about this community and an yet another opportunity to learn from and share with others on the homeschooling journey!

Hello, my name is Jamie and I am the mom to 3 kids! Dawson 8, Kelsey 5, and Dallin 4! We knew we were called to homeschooling Dawson for Kinder and we tried but I left God out of the mix and tried to do it on my own and failed miserably. We put Dawson in our local public school (which is not the greatest) and shut the door on homeschooling, but the Lord has different plans! We will be pulling him out at the end of this year and restarting our journey of homeschooling this Fall. Iā€™m still in the excited but overwhelming phase of our commitment but have learned (the hard way) that He has a plan and all I have to do is follow! I am not stressed this time around about having to have it all figured out and know that there will be good and bad days ahead but Iā€™m doing what is best for our children. I am beyond blessed to have the opportunity to try again! We are in a very small community and will be going against the 'norm", but Iā€™m am thankful to have found this community and look forward to being involved!

2 Likes

Hello,

My name is Beth. We are just starting our homeschooling journey! My son will be in kindergarten in the fall, and I am doing a trial run for the next couple of months, and heā€™s loving it so far! I will also be starting a little preschool curriculum for my daughter in the fall, so I will be homeschooling my two kids. As far as teaching style, I havenā€™t figured that out yet! Iā€™m sure weā€™ll figure it out as we get into the groove of things. We decided to homeschool our children, because weā€™re not a fan of the public schools here in California, and we canā€™t afford private school. We are giving homeschooling a try for now, and we will see how it goes.

1 Like

Hello Beth! Welcome to the group. My name is Tiffany, Iā€™ve been homeschooling for 9 years and have seven children. Iā€™m so excited for you and your family as you start this very rewarding journey called homeschooling.

Joyfully,
Tiffany aka Motherofmany :slight_smile:

Hi Angelica! Congratulations on your soon to be newest family member. How exciting!

Hello - My name is Sugar - I live in Wyoming in the middle of nowhere about 20 miles from civilization. Haha. I have been homeschooling my kids for 5 years - but have been using an online school. I am going to be pulling my kids from K12 and homeschooling them. I think my style will be more traditional and I am excited for this new chapter in our lives!

I have 5 kids - 11 months, 3 years, 5 years, 7 years, and 9 years. 2 girls and 3 boys!

We decided to homeschool because we didnā€™t want to have our kids around the negative influence of the world - and didnā€™t want to expose them to bullying and teachings that conflict with the Bible. Also, I just felt like I could help them learn more one on one than in a crowded classroom.

I enjoy homeschooling and feel like we have such a tight community - more than public school parents could ever know. :slight_smile: Thanks so much for creating this forum.

6 Likes

Hello fellow Wyomingite,

You are lucky to have reliable enough internet to have use of online sources :relaxed:
Enjoy your journey!

Kris

Hi- Iā€™m Carolyn and I homeschooled both of my children (many years ago) through high school. They are both in their 30ā€™s now with families of their own and lead happy and successful lives. I loved my homeschooling days and now have a 2 year old granddaughter who lives about 1,000 miles away. To help stay connected Iā€™ve started sending her a box every month that has fun things to read, learn, and do with her mom and dad. Iā€™m looking forward to seeing what resources are available to homeschoolers today. Once a homeschool mom-always a homeschool mom!

5 Likes

Hi Jamie- Iā€™ve been where you are. My husband and I pulled our children out of public school which was scary for us. This was 20 years ago and homeschooling was something that most people had never heard of or had very negative views. I can honestly say that you must focus on the goals you have for your children; not just for this year but for eternity. The time you have where your children are living with you is so short and there is much to teach them. Donā€™t depend on the government or the school to determine what or how they learn. As a parent, you will always have your childrenā€™s best interest at heart and will move mountains to provide what is best for them. No earthly entity will ever have that commitment to your children.

3 Likes

Thank you for your encouraging words! Blessings!

Hi, My name is Courtney. I have 5 lovely blessings. I am on my 4th yr of homeschooling. I started homeschooling because we live in a small town and the school system is not the best here. Now that I have been homeschooling a couple years my reason is because I LOVE the family freedom we have and love the ability to be the one to decide how we will mold and shape our family. I lean towards traditional teaching.

2 Likes

Hello! Thatā€™s awesome - someone else from Wyoming? :slight_smile:

Yes, Wheatland! How about you?

I live up in Powell!

Hi @care51 ! So glad youā€™re here to offer your view from the ā€œfinish lineā€ :slight_smile:

Hi @sgrrrbear! So glad youā€™re here!

Thank glad to be here - it is so much fun. :smile: