Using Erica's World Greastest Artists and Composers Units

Hello everyone! I have begun to migrate my son into his 3rd grade curriculum (we are sooo not following a regular school year!), and I have begun to use Erica’s units on World’s Greatest Artists and Composers as part of that transition. Since she is the brain child of all things on this website, I thought that she, and everyone else, would like to talk about using these units. So, if your student(s) are using these units or if you are, like me, supplementing them, then I thought that we could all share our kiddos are progressing through them! Just something cool that we could all rally around.
Anyway, here is our start to the Artists unit (we haven’t actually begun the Composer’s one yet, as I’m waiting for the books from Amazon). Even if you aren’t using Erica’s units, I would still love to see what people might be using for their art/music lessons!
I look forward to seeing what everyone else is doing! :smile:

1 Like

We haven’t begun using these units yet, but I’m planning on it in the next couple of years. I hope someone responds so we can see how different people use them. Thanks :slight_smile:

@Beckie We use Artistic Pursuits for our art lessons and love it! My kids love using different art supplies like watercolor crayons, oil pastels, chalk pastels, etc. and learning about what artists do (artists communicate, artists see details, artists imagine, etc.) in each lesson (we’re still in book #1 so far). For our music, we are trying John Feierabend’s First Steps in Music for Preschool and Beyond (it goes through Elementary ages) next year. We are using his stand-alone books, CDs and his Move It DVD. His resources focus on teaching kids to be tuneful, artful, and beatful using various folk songs (songs with a story) and he also incorporates classical music in his DVDs and one of his CDs to help kids listen for beats and to learn to move their bodies in lots of fun ways to those beats. We are really looking forward to it next year! :slight_smile:

1 Like

The First Steps in Music sounds like a winner! My son loves to move!! But, since he is almost 8, I figure that it’s time we do a little more structured. I haven’t heard of Artistic Pursuits, but I’ll have to check it out for later. Since I have a degree in art, we’ve already explored a lot of those supplies that you mentioned because they are all up in my office, but it sounds like it would be a lot of fun to talk about what artists do through what you are using!

@Beckie My daughter just turned 8 :slight_smile: I understand the need for structure too–that is my default setting. I think studying the composers can be wonderful when the music itself is being experienced along with the study. I’ve not looked into Erica’s studies in this regard. John Feierabend has higher age levels (Conversational Solfege) for teaching musical literacy, but that may not be the direction you’re looking for. Artistic Pursuits has several levels. My children have always enjoyed these lessons. The artwork they get to study by various artists has been exciting and the hands-on projects always stretch them a bit. I hope you like it! :slight_smile: