Thank you notes

Is there anyone else that thinks kids should still write thank you notes?
I make my kids write and send thank you notes when someone gets them a gift or does something kind for them, but it seems like this is a lost art. I never receive thank you cards from anyone… ever. Except from my kids!! :smiley: So am I the only one who does this anymore??

1 Like

You are NOT the only one. I think this is SUPER important, but yes, it is definitely a lost art. I always start with having my kids sign their names to thank yous that I have written, then filling in pieces of a pre-written note, and then finally writing the notes themselves (my 2nd grader this year.)

2 Likes

We try. There are times that I’ve let it go so long that it seems embarrassing to send one. Whe my daughter was really little, I’d have her fingerpaint a paper that I pre folded and we’d include er handprint and sign for her. Now she draws a picture and dictates the message and signs her name at the end.

1 Like

We only send them out for birthday party gifts. My kids are still very young (3.5, 2, 2), but I want to make sure that I am in the habit of writing them, so that when they get a little bit older, they can take over the process.

1 Like

I try to have my kids send them to people. It’s not only good handwriting practice, but helps teach them useful skills like how to address an envelope. I know I personally like to get a thank you note. I think it just shows you how much the recipient appreciated your thoughtfulness.

1 Like

I have my kids send thank you notes whenever they get gifts. They also send letters to family and friends. They love to get mail but I tell them they won’t get mail unless they send it so they write letters all the time.

My kids are still really young also, but I’m starting off small (like having my oldest just sign his name or having my middle “color” the card). I think it’s certainly the thought that counts!

My daughter just turned 5. For the past six months or so, I have printed out a sheet that has a related graphic (made using MSWord). I have her color the picture and write her name. Now that she knows how to write most of her letters, I will spell out Thank You for her to write. I then scan it in and print out copies to send out to everyone who gave her Christmas or birthday gifts. Sometimes she will add stickers to the note or to the envelope.

2 Likes

Very cute idea @MrsKinsey

2 Likes

We definitely do this, but we use ones that have some printing already on them (ie “thanks for the ________” etc) because her fine motors skills get weaker as she writes. But it’s important to acknowledge gifts with verbal -and written- gratitude.

1 Like

Yes we do also, and it does seem a lost art.
(Don’t get me started on the many people who don’t even verbally say a thank you let alone anything else.)
Keep up your good work on it! It’s not lost on you and your kids.

1 Like

ABSOLUTELY!!! I am a stickler with this! I want my kiddos to always look for ways to give thanks, even for little things! I do this in hopes that when they are older they can be different from our society which focuses on negativity, and search out for goodness in everyone! To make this fun is to go to the dollar store and let them pick out some inexpensive thank you cards, or stickers so they can make their own at home!

We too believe in having our children write thank you notes. I have used it as a copy work exercise with my younger children. And my older children take the initiative to do so because it is a “family practice” (meaning something that has been intentionally and repeatedly done over the years).

We have our kids write their own as well. For the one’s who can’t write yet, I will write it then have them “sign” their name at least :smile: I think it’s important to show them how to be grateful for things that others gift them!

Because our lives can be hectic, I sometimes have the kids prepare the thank yous ahead of time leaving a blank to write the gift in. Then we’ll fill it in as they open presents. When our guests leave, we’ll usually give them a little goodie bag with the thank you note.

1 Like

I believe this in extremely important. Even when someone comes and helps me during the day, bring a meal, or a nice treat, and of course things for the children specifically. I want them to say thank you, and also learn to write in their thank you note something like: I really enjoyed the chocolate cake you made for us. And if they have asked me to get the recipe I’ll tell them to write it in the note, like: Could you give us the recipe for it? Mom says she’d like to try making it.