Testing Reading Level

Hello!

I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a test/program to get an assessment of my kid’s reading levels. I have an idea based on what books they are reading/how well they can read, but I’d like something more thorough. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks! :slight_smile:

I used the DORA test from letsgolearn.com
I liked it because it was computer based and adaptive so it can figure out their actual level even if it is far above their grade level. It was a bit pricey (~$20 each I believe) but it gives a grade level equivalent for several subcategories like phonetics, spelling, vocabulary, reading comprehension.

I think you can also purchase it through Seton Testing for maybe a few dollars cheaper, and a google search turned it up on Homeschool Buyer’s Co-Op, but it is not one of the current deals.

1 Like

@kristen04 If you purchase it through Seton, is it still computer based? Or is it better just to do it through the website? I am looking for reading assessments for my daughter - and prefer that they be broken by categories. We really need to work on comprehension.

Yes, it is the exact same assessment through Seton, just a couple dollars cheaper, I believe. To add a class and student(s) was a bit confusing but once I got past that, everything went smoothly.

And you can stop the test and restart at any time. My kids did it in two sessions. Probably took 40 minutes total.

www.readtheory.org

I just ran across this one on another group. I haven’t tried it yet, but it’s FREE!

How accurate were the results?

Great. I’m going to look into these. Thanks!!