Struggling with writing curriculum

We did Student Writing Intensive A last year with my 4th and 6th grader and really enjoyed it. I bought Following Narnia for this year (now in 5th and 7th) and it seems much more difficult. We are just now beginning writing because we moved and took a 2 week trip to Ireland (yay!) but we are 2 weeks in and its frustrating for all of us. I am not sure what direction to go now with writing. I love IEW but JUST bought all the Following Narnia stuff. We will use it eventually but it needs to be shelved for a year or two. I don’t know if I should go for an easier program or just change it up for this year. Suggestions?

1 Like

We are doing Here to Help Learning this year and love it. Mrs. Mora has videos targeted to the students with humorous attention getting segments, games, activities and fun writing projects, along with covering the writing process and teaching everything they need to know about writing. It is also designed so you can have kids from different grades working together, there are 2 levels Paragraphs and Essays, each has 3 “flights” which are each a year of instruction. My kids begged to buy it at a homeschool convention and still beg to do writing, they love it! The nice thing is you can get a monthly membership that allows you to stream any of the videos from any of the levels and print off the other materials that you need for only $6.99 a month, so it is very inexpensive to try it out. You can also get print materials and DVDs, which we did because we have 4 kids so reusable materials will save us money in the long run. Here’s the link: http://heretohelplearning.com

4 Likes

Thank you! This looks very interesting!

@Lindsay I contacted IEW the other day to ask what we should do after SW Intensive A. They said the best next step, before going into the Themes, is to do the Continuation A (which they said can be a 2 year program.) They said after we complete that, we could move to Continuation B or Themes. Not sure if that’s helpful… Good luck!

1 Like

It is helpful, thank you!