Story Books about Egypt, Persia, Mesopotamia, Etc

I’m looking for suggestions for story books about the ancient middle east (Egypt, Persia, Babylon, anything). Not chapter books, or books like usborn, but picture books that tell a story. Thanks! All suggestions welcome!

(Already getting Story of the World…but not sure how my kiddo will do with stories with no pictues. Wanting to see what else I can find to supplement or replace the stories they use).

I did the same thing for my 1st grader. I got the Story of the World, but thought he would do really well if we followed it up with books with lots of colorful pictures. That being said, I had a hard time finding any books in that age range that tell a story. So, I went with books that were about the topic instead. I looked up books on Tapestry of Grace - and Sonlight and found the ones I wanted to purchase.

Let me know if you want a complete list of what I got. But here were the few picture books that tell a story that I found to go along with the topics. I hope this helps :smile:

Egypt: Tut’s Mummy: Lost and Found
The Egyptian Cinderella

Babylon:
Gilgamesh The King (also has 2 more books in the trilogy)

India:
Ganesha’s Sweet Tooth
The Story of Little Babaji

Africa:
Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People’s Ears
(Any Spider Anansi stories as well)

China:
The Empty Pot
Yeh -Shen : A Cinderella Story from China

Japan:
Little Oh

Greece:
Monster in the Maze: Story of the Minotaur
Tale from the Odyssey Part 1 and 2 (This one is more of a Ch. book, but a gentle intro to the Odyssey.)

2 Likes

I’d like to add to that list:

India
One Grain of Rice

China
Tikki Tikki Tembo
The Story about Ping

Africa
Bringing the Rain to Kapiti Plain
A Story, a Story (an Anansi spider story)
Mufaro’s Beautiful Daughters (a Cinderella story)
Ashanti to Zulu
Who’s in Rabbit’s House?
The Butter Man
We All Went on Safari

Turkey
The Hungry Coat

Middle East (not familiar with the content of these, but were on a K-3 booklist)
The Pearl Diver
Saluki: Hound of the Bedouin

2 Likes