Spelling Ideas/Curriculum 5th,4th and 1st grade

I had planned to use All About Spelling this year but we already went over budget with all the new curriculum we bought as well as me having to buy All About Reading as we finish a level. I am thinking we may go with AAS next year but in the meantime I need to figure out spelling with a 5th grader, 4th grader and 1st grader.
Any suggestions or inexpensive curriculum I can use?
TIA

What I did is search for homeschool spelling lists online. Once I found one I liked that was an appropriate level, I printed it off. I give him 10 words per week to learn and we do different things like make flash cards, use the AAR letter tiles to spell them out, make sentences, etc. So we don’t use an actual program, but it seems to work really well for us!

1 Like

Hi there @Proverbs31! Have you looked at Easy Peasy? They have Language Arts for Levels 1 through 7 with spelling and writing/spelling activities. I only glanced at Level 1 and it includes these subjects and they are tied to a reading selection (i.e. a book of poems and the words come from those readings). We used a history level when we were between history topics one year and needed a filler. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the lessons. They are now including worksheets with the LA section that are downloadable pdfs. All of it is free. Here is a link to the Level 1 of Language Arts (wiriting/spelling): https://allinonehomeschool.com/language-arts-1/ :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just bought soaring with spelling. We haven’t started it yet, but it’s pretty inexpensive and I like how it has vocabulary with it.

1 Like

I never thought to look at Easy Peasy, I will definitely look into it, free is always wonderful! :wink:

1 Like

We use Soaring with Spelling. What I like is that it has ONE word = ONE definition, which is less confusing for my child. It is also not overly cluttered or colorful, which is distracting.

I do add a few activities:

(Day 1 - pretest AND I add ABC order to it, which teaches alphabetizing skills. I write the words on index cards and she has to sort through them (write on paper in order when done).

Day 3 - usually a crossword puzzle or other such activity, I add Write 3x Each as an activity. If she got everything right on the pretest, I don’t do this.

Throughout the week, I will ask her what one of her spelling words means. I want to make the spelling instruction more vocabulary based. I’ve looked at other programs, but this one seems best suited for our needs.

1 Like

I have never tried them but I like this free spelling lists. http://www.k12reader.com/spelling-worksheets/ You can search for “fun spelling activities” at Pinterest and you will find great ideas that work with any list.
Last year we used Words Their Way and really liked it. It has a non tradicional / phonics-based aproach that focuses on observing patterns, comparing, and sorting words instead of memorizing. http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find?Ntt=Words+their+way&N=0&Ntk=keywords&action=Search&Ne=0&event=ESRCG&nav_search=1&cms=1

1 Like

Have you heard of Reading Lessons Through Literature? It’s $24.50 per level on rainbow resource or $30 per level on Amazon. It’s very similar to AAS and AAR in it’s approach, but much easier and everything is in one book (including the readers and flash cards). It can be used as a reading and/or spelling program, but we are only using it as a spelling program because my kids are fluent readers. If you want the tactile feel of AAS she has free phonogram tiles and flash cards that you can download to print out. I actually bought AAS levels 1 & 2, but I ended up using this instead because there is no teacher prep (besides reading the how to use once beforehand) and almost no learning curve.

2 Likes

I haven’t heard of this one, need to look it up.