Reviews of Easy Grammar/Daily Grams

I am strongly considering this for my 3rd and 5th graders next year. The books seem great to me and I love that they are very to the point. Anyone have a positive/negative review?

@Lindsay I used Easy Grammar for a few years with my oldest son, now 20. He liked it a lot, he liked that the pages were clean, not cluttered, and it was straight forward. Fast forward and I now homeschool our 7 yr old. Easy Grammar doesn’t work for him. He’s an auditory/hands on learner. But I think the clean pgs and simplicity of it would have been good for him:) I have a new Easy Grammar 3 book for sale in this forum! Let me know if your interested:)

We are currently using it for my 2nd and 4th grader boys. It’s good. I like that it is straight to the point, I like that it starts with prepositions, and I like that I can get it done in 10-15 minutes a day. But my 2nd grader hates it. I’m sure its partly his age, but he dreads it. My 4th grader doesn’t mind it much. But they haven’t retained anything. I’m sure it will be better if we keep going with it, but I’m not sure we will. It’s good, not great. But then again, I have yet to find or hear about that “perfect” L.A. curriculum

I use it this year, for 3rd and 5th grade. I know alot of people love it. And I bought it because it was uncluttered and straightforward but honestly I dont like it at all. It is so uncluttered thats its boring and montonous, I found that I missed color. We are almost done with the book. I am not the type to change curriculums mid year but we will not be getting it next school year. I am going to try bju english.

I used it when my oldest was in 6th grade. I liked the premise of it - teach the prepositions to get them out of the way so the student could find the other parts of speech easier. However, after spending the entire year with it and doing well on the tests, my son didn’t actually learn much of anything. He actually asked me after that year what a noun was! :flushed: I still like the preposition first method, but I don’t like the way EG teaches prepositions, which is pure memorization. Many prepositions can be used as other parts of speech as well, so you can’t just memorize; you have to know how the word is functioning in the sentence. So I’ve become a non-fan after that.

As with everything, it will depend on your kiddos! My two oldest (8&9) were so tired of grammar… drawn out mastery-based workbooks on concepts that were mostly common sense still, this young. So, for now, we are using it for the speed of the spiraling concept. I prefer a mastery-based math, and probably will grammar as well when we get into more complicated material. We’re just using the “Daily Guided Teaching and Review for Grade 2” because I didn’t want them to miss any concepts. So it’s basically like the Daily Grams worksheets. We do 2 a day, 4 days a week, and they don’t LOVE it, but they know it is quick, to the point, and then over- and they LOVE that. I’m seeing GREAT improvement and retention, because the concepts are constantly revisited and applied. Because the sheets are so short, there is very little complaining. I don’t know how this will change when we get into the nitty gritty of grade 3 next year.

I really like it --we are using it for the second year. We also use Wordly Wise 3000 and do daily reading and writing assignments to cover our language arts portion. My daughter doesn’t mind the plain workbook, and likes that it’s a quick daily review. I like that it’s straightforward and she can basically do it as independent work.