Remedial Reading?

I have a dd who is going into 4th grade reading (she is turning 9) and she can read! Yet there are times when she is reading and I don’t understand where she gets her words from or why she tries to read them a certain way. I.e- today her reading had the word Trenton and she was pronouncing it Tretion and Treton. Even after telling her 4 or 5 times what it was she still continued to pronounce it her own way. She does this every time she is reading aloud which makes me think that when she does silent reading she is still mispronouncing words.
She is able to read to do her math and her independent work and she does what is asked of her on the page, however I’m starting to wonder if we need to do remedial reading? Her sister who is one year younger has been learning alongside her and does not have this problem.
If she does need remedial reading I was wondering what programs are available for this that are effective and inexpensive.
Thank you

Two things to look into.

Vision therapy. Could actually be a tracking issue even if her vision is 20/20.

Diane Craft has excellent brain training resources you do at home.

1 Like

I wondered about this too. I wanted to take her to the opticians but I have a feeling that they will say her vision is ok so I wasn’t sure how to go about finding out if there was a tracking issue.

Our Eye doctor herself doesn’t do the testing, but 2 of the other doctors in her office do. I appreciate she was not quick to refer my son for additional testing because she felt his reversals, etc were likely age appropriate, but something to watch this year. 3 of my nieces have had vision therapy and it has helped them tremendously. My sophomore aged niece really wishes she had therapy much sooner. School has always been tough for her.

I would call your eye doctor and ask if they test for tracking. Or call around until you find an office that can do vision therapy. Sometimes it is covered in part by insurance.

1 Like

You want to look for a developmental optometrist: www.covd.org.

My oldest went through vision therapy and it was very helpful for him (we did it in 7th grade, and I too wish we could have done it sooner).

Reversals and issues after age 8 are not typical…it’s worth it to look into things.

Something you can do next time she gets stuck on a word is rewrite it on a paper or white board. See if she knows how to divide it into syllables: tren-ton. Then have her sound out each syllable. That might be more effective for her.

Or, have an index card handy, and see if she can cover up all but the first syllable–read that, then try to read the next syllable.

1 Like

Thank you for this, I will look into it. I’m in Canada so I might have to look one up here but I like the practical idea too with the index cards. :slight_smile: