Recommendations for an Early Reader?

Any book suggestions for an early reader? My son is a kindergartner and not quite ready for typical “Level 1” books.

Bob books are great. My first grader is not quite ready for typical level 1 books either but he really likes the Bob books.

2 Likes

Not really a book suggestion, but check out Starfall.com its a great website for reading. It’s interactive and fun for kiddos. My daughter loves it when she needs that school break, but still wants to learn. She is also at a Kindergarten level.

Oh yes! I love Starfall! We use it to introduce each of the Letters in preschool. I think they have some older kids things too. I’ll have to go check those out. Thanks!

1 Like

yes they do i believe. We also use abcya.com that has both phonics/reading and math.

1 Like

My kids love starting out with Bob books and Dr Seuss. We usually sit down together and the kid reads all the worlds they know, and I read the rest. It helps them stay focused and follow along rather than just me reading out loud. Plus if I have to read the same word enough times they eventually learn a new word :slight_smile:

1 Like

@melinda2780 and @Beccaj143 are these the Bob Books you’re talking about?

bobbooks.com

Where would you recommend getting them from if the library doesn’t have them?

I bought mine at the teacher store Lakeshore Learning or from Amazon

1 Like

I have been printing some of these emergent readers this year for my K son. He read them a lot the first half of the year when he wasn’t ready for level 1 books. They use sight words and get progressively harder as you work through the series.

1 Like

My daughter wasn’t quite ready for Level 1, but really loves reading the Elephant and Piggie books by Mo Willems. Easy words, lots of expression, and they make sense! She thinks they are so funny.

2 Likes

I have a new reader and had a tough time finding books for her. She didn’t like BOB books although they were perfect. I found a book series called “Now I’m Reading”. They are great. They are a pack of 10 small readers in one little set but they are all held together in pockets. My daughter calls them chapter book and loves to read them. They also have stickers for the child to put in each book when they have read that story. There are 4 stickers per story. The level 1 books are called Animal Antics and Playful Pals. You can find them at Barnes and Noble or Amazon. I have been so thankful to have found these books! Good Luck!

1 Like

You may also want to try the we both read series. Me and my kids really like these. We get them from the library. The parent reads the left page and the child reads the right page. There are different levels. these are two of the books we have checked out now.

1 Like

Those are the ones I was talking about. My oldest son loves them. Each time I add to our collection he gets excited. I bought some on Amazon.com for an okay price. I grabbed one set at a consignment store for super cheap. And I found some on ebay for a good price as well. Ebay was probably the best price I found.

After we finished BOB books, we really enjoyed the Scamp and Tramp reader from the American Language Readers series. This one focused on short vowel words while blending the beginning and ending consonants.

You could ask your local library to order them for you. I recently put in an order for a book they didn’t have and they went ahead and bought it!

After BOB books, my daughter enjoyed reading from the McGuffey’s Readers. There are also some books where you can read one page, then the young reader reads the next page…I forgot what they are called. I know Usborne has some of these books and hear they are great.

Our Costco has the sets of Bob Books. If you have one nearby, you can check it out.

We have bridged into reading with Bob Books. Also, great readers that are meant for grades K-2 are the Christian Liberty Press Kindergarten Phonics Readers. They have books to order or you can buy them in PDF format. The words students continually read in the stories help prepare them for more advanced reading in the future through sight words, phonics, and even advanced words.
Hope this helps!

Another good website for emergent readers (free printables) is hubbardscupboard.org we also do the Bob books.

Something I did when my daughter was in K is went to the library and had her read to the librarian to see what level she was at and after that the librarian ordered her books that were at her level! It was amazing!

2 Likes