Pulling child out of public school halfway through the year

I recently decided that I want to homeschool my children. My oldest is six and in first grade. Up until about a month ago, she loved school and has been doing really well. She is ahead of her class in reading and about average in math. However, she has a slight problem with one child teasing her at school which I think is causing her to not want to go to school. She asks nearly every day if she can stay home.
My original plan was to start homeschooling my 4 year old in January and wait to start homeschooling my 6 year old after she’d completed her first-grade year so I would get used to the idea of homeschooling. Lately, though, I’ve been debating pulling my 1st grader out of school early/after Christmas break and starting homeschooling her in January along with her sister. My problem is that I have no idea where to start teaching with her (1st grader). I have a little bit of an idea of what she knows and what she is learning, but not sure how to continue with that. I have curriculum ideas I want to use, but they are planned out for a full school year. I’m a planner and if I don’t have a “plan” things tend to not get done, so I have a hard time flying by the seat of my pants, so to speak.
What have you taught your kids after pulling them out mid-year?

We first began our homeschool journey by pulling my then 3rd grader out at Christmas break. We made the decision the day before she was to return. It did stress me out trying to figure out where to pick up. I had some friends who homeschooled and let me borrow and browse through their curriculum. Most math programs have placement tests. But, honestly, for first grade, I would just focus on reading and math, which you should be able to gauge fairly easily. There’s always a bit of a decompressing period when you switch from public school, so it would be a nice time to feel out what you want to do and spend time reading aloud, learning through play, etc.

1 Like

Welcome @kwadd! You have come to the right place. :smile: There are so many wonderful people in our community to offer help and support.

Here is a post that Erica did that may help too:

I pulled my child out of first grade in public school just over a year ago. I had been planning to wait until the break for the new year, but just couldn’t keep sending her there every day. I was terrified of making the leap, making the commitment to doing this really alternative thing, but it was harder watching her dislike it more every day. So we met with the principal just after thanksgiving and that was it! I wrote a letter, referenced the relevant law, and we were out. I remember saying, I can’t believe that was it! I felt like someone would resist or question us, but of course, no one will.

I did not have everything planned out ahead, although I have taught in the past. I decided to continue the math program she had been using, and secured these materials on Amazon for $30. The continuity was welcome in that subject. We visited the library weekly to take out piles and piles of good books.

The advice that helped me though, was a friend who cautioned me against over-committing our time initially. There are so many activities to get involved in! The time we spent figuring out how to school together was vital. It helped us learn balance. Not all of the transition will go seamlessly. There are amazing days, and there are humdrum days. Being both mom and teacher requires new definitions of our roles.

I wish you luck on your journey. Just remember, there are no dead ends. If something doesn’t work, you’ll change it. Be kind to yourself and give yourselves time. Rome wasn’t built in a day! Best of luck. :slightly_smiling_face:

I pulled my son out a few years ago in the end of January when he was in first grade. I had no clue how to homeschool and had no one to ask. I went to Barnes and Noble, Joann Fabrics, and the Bookery Christian store and got a few all inclusive first grade books. (By the way Joann offers teacher discounts…the bookery also I think). I sort of had an idea of what he had learned by the papers he had brought home, so I went through the big books and planned a loose schedule for January through May. Some things he already knew how to do so if he was excelling in it we skipped it and moved on. When we started up official homeschool curriculum in the fall, there was not anything we had not learned so the transition went well. Alot of what he learned in first grade we circled back in the curriculum we use and learned more in depth about it. I hope this helps you some!