Pre-K vs K grade ciriculum

M daughter is 5 and this is our first year homeschooling. How should I determine is she is considered pre-k or k level? She can count to 20, says the alphabet knows shapes and colors and can color inside the lines. We are working on writing know. I’m in information overload and really do not know which curriculum to use. I’ve even considered just spending money to just buy a Christian based grade level kit that has everything needed for a particular grade, but I like what I have see on COAH in terms of printables to buy.

I am assuming this is your oldest or at least the first time you’ll be homeschooling? I wouldn’t have known which way to go or all that would and could be covered when I started homeschooling my oldest. We purchased the A Beka materials and that gave us a good solid foundation.
I think that it has helped me to know what things I won’t do again and what things I certainly will do again and I don’t feel like I might have missed something or disoriented.
This is my 5th year homeschooling and it has only gotten better. I have made adjustments according to those experiences in the beginning year or two and I recommend doing the same. I think you’ll be less likely to quit in the coming years. Some might think differently though. This is just my opinion based on my own experience.
Best wishes! :smiley:

Based on your description, I think your daughter is ready for the K5 level. I also have used A Beka and highly recommend it. Great foundation in phonics and numbers. This is the kit my daughter used last year http://www.abeka.com/ABekaOnline/BookDescription.aspx?sbn=201952 .
It includes the cursive writing workbooks, but a manuscript kit is also available. http://www.abeka.com/ABekaOnline/BookDescription.aspx?sbn=201979

Hi!
Here is how I kind of identify them:

My preschool Letter of the Week curriculum introduces letter recognition, sounds, number recognition, counting, basic math skills, pre-writing practice, and all the necessary fine-motor skills that will be required for your preschooler to be ready for kindergarten.

Following the Letter of the Week program I also have a K4/5 Kindergarten level curriculum. The K4 Curriculum is great for kids age 4-5 who are ready for Kindergarten. It assumes that you’ve completed the LOTW prek so your student knows the letters and sounds well. The curriculum introduces beginning reading, math and handwriting skills that will give your student a huge advantage as they proceed through their elementary years.

Upon completion of K4/5, students should have a basic understanding of simple addition and subtraction, place value, basic 1 and 2 vowel words, and beginning reading skills, logical thinking and basic fine-motor skills.

Kindergarten usually focuses more on reading skills, so she may be able to say the alphabet, but if she doesn’t know all of the letter sounds then she might have a hard time jumping right into kinder. That said since she’s 5 I might try a kindergarten level program, you just might have to do some alphabet sounds memorization first.

I hope that helps!!

2 Likes