Poll: What's your favorite math curriculum?

We have used many math curriculums throughout the years but have found Teaching Textbooks this year and love it! I also liked Saxon math.

I did Teaching Textbooks last year & my son hated it. Not sure why (I thought it was pretty cool). This year I switched to Singapore. I have mixed feelings. I end up supplementing with worksheets, Kahn Academy & Youtube videos (mostly to explain concepts). I’m paranoid that I’m missing something but don’t want to switch again.

We love Singapore! My 2nd grader’s mental math is faster than mine, and I believe it’s due to Singapore’s emphasis on mental math computation.

1 Like

I needed some independence for my oldest so she switched to Teaching Textbooks. My 2 younger boys quickly wanted the same thing so this year my 1st and 2nd grade boys started TT3. I am looking into other options for my oldest son, but will likely continue with the younger one as it seems to be a good fit for him. We are not pushing to do the entire level in one year, but he is motivated and enjoying it. I do also feel as though I need some way to drill the basic facts a bit more with all my children. I don’t think my children are as solid or quick as I would like them to be.

1 Like

We use Teaching Textbooks. We have tried others, but after we took DS out if ‘school’ the second time, he was so far behind in math that we started with Life of Fred then came back to Teaching Textbooks. We finished 7th grade right before this past Christmas. We are now in Algebra and doing great. We will be in Algebra until the middle of the year next year then we will be doing Geometry.

1 Like

Haha! That’s when we switched to TT too!

We are currently using Horizons for Kindergarten, but I have contemplated switching to Math U See. My son loves the colorfulness of Horizons, but it seems to overwhelm him with the LARGE variety of topics per lesson. I like that review, but not sure. I am also worried about using MathUSee though. It seems that with just doing one “topic” per year, they would be missing a lot of stuff! For example, my son has done: digital and analog time, penny, dine, nickel, half dollar, dollar, perimeter, bar and picture graphs, addition, subtraction, number before, number after, place value, counting by 10,5&2 and probably more…but the MathUSee would be just addition and subtraction for next year (Alpha) in 1st grade. Any opinions?

1 Like

We have only used Math U See as this is our first year homeschooling. There are parts that I like and parts that I don’t really enjoy. My daughter is not very fond of it as she thinks it is boring. She does read Life of Fred on the side though. I have Math Mammoth heading our way so I am hoping to find a good balance for her to enjoy math a bit more. My oldest son doesn’t seem to enjoy MUS either but he doesn’t enjoy anything similar to a worksheet. My youngest son has started MUS Primer and he loves worksheets so he is happy.

I have used Everyday Math through the years, this year trying Abeka. I still make many additional practice worksheets and use supplements on Kahn Academy if needed. I also like Super Teacher Worksheets.

We love Right Start Math. We finished level A and then used Singapore K for summer work. Now we’re using Level B. We also supplement with Math Mammoth because my daughter LOVES worksheets. :smile:

We use Singapore as our main spine. However, when they get older we will probably use Saxon Maths. We also supplement with maths books such as Life of Fred, Penrose the Mathematical Cat, etc.

We LOVE Right Start Math. Lots of manipulatives, step by step teaching, different ways of getting to the same answer, really understanding why not just memorizing, games. Great program!

We have used Math U see for the last six years and LOVE it! I have heard the upper levels are more difficult, but thus far, my children have all thoroughly enjoyed it!

We use Math U See for one of our boys and are currently using Saxon 6/5 for our other son. He is wanting a switch from Saxon so I have been looking into Teaching Textbooks for him. I love MUS and it has brought math to life for him and he looks forward to doing math each day also.

We started with MUS because I thought the hands on would help make it concrete - but it actually just hindered them. They’re the type that “hands on” experiences just seem like ONE MORE THING to do.

We switched to Math Mammoth and it works for us. I don’t seenus changing anytime soon.

1 Like

We are doing Horizons kinder math with my 4 year old also. I agree that the lessons have a lot of topics! I am not a fan of the teacher’s guide either. I have been thinking about trying MUS next year because of all the great reviews. I have the same concerns as you though. I don’t want her to get bored either. Has anyone else switched from horizons to math u see?

I did lesson 114 (I think) with my son this morning and used some place value manipulatives with him and explained things like they do in the Alpha MUS sample video. He has always gotten problems “right”, but it was like a light bulb went on! Then when we were doing addition on the bottom of the sheet he was doing something like 25-5= and said he didn’t know. I was about to tell him to use the number line provided, but instead used the manipulatives. Showed him 25. Then said take away 5 units. Again…LIGHT BULB ON! I think I have my answer! :wink: He will probably fly through some of Alpha, but I think it will be good for him. N

1 Like

Life of Fred saved us in the math department! We started it last year, and this is our first year to use it as our complete curriculum. Both my girls (6th and 4th) have gone from hating math to having it be their favorite subject. We all love it! My 4th grader is dyslexic, so I read the chapters to her, but that’s working really well. My 6th grader does it independently.

1 Like

We use Horizons until about the 4th grade and then switch to teaching textbooks. We love them both!

We tried Math U See for one year and my daughter did not like it. We used Horizons, but that wasn’t a great fit for us either. This year, we have been using Christian Light Publications and we LOVE it. It is divided into 10 smaller workbooks, called Light Units, each one having 2 quizzes throughout and a test at the end. My daughter loves finishing a book and moving on to the next. That visual of being done with something really motivates her. Little chunks and not one big book. We love it.

1 Like