Play with other kids

Hi there, I am curious how often your children play with other kids. Whether in the environment of an organized activity (a sport or Scouts or something), or within the neighborhood or organized play dates. We just started homeschooling this year and I find they’re playing with other kids about 2 days a week. I wish it was more but we purposely don’t have them in many organized activities, and there are rarely kids out playing in our neighborhood so it’s either me arranging a play date or attending a park day with our homeschooling group (every 2-3 weeks) or something like that.

My kids are around other kids pretty much everyday. My girls 9 and 11 are heavily involved in theatre, we are at church Wednesday and Sunday, my 5 year old boy takes Tae Kwon Do 2 times a week, we go to the gym where there are tons of other kids a few days a week, we have 4-H once a month, we go to the library every Tuesday. It sounds like a lot but we really have a lot of free time. They also play with friends. But for one reason or another we see kids almost everyday.

1 Like

From March/April to Oct/Nov we do swim team 4 days a week for both boys. My youngest does soccer, my oldest does basketball as well. This year we started attending co op one day a week. We do a running club on Wed mornings which usually involves running a few laps and then playing together. We try to do a park day a few times a month. We do church group on Wed night and Sunday School on Sundays. I’m thinking of putting my oldest into a theater group too.

1 Like

When my kids were in elementary school, they usually had 1 play day a week (an afternoon with friends after a half school day–we always looked forward to our “Friday Friend days!”) They also saw kids at AWANA on Wednesday nights and on Sunday at church, the occasional homeschool field trip or activity day (once a month or so), but that was the only “planned” time. We did have a couple of kids in the neighborhood in the summers, but they lived elsewhere during the school year. Summers they saw a lot more kids (at the pool, swim lessons, tennis or ball lessons) etc… One year my dd was in ballet, and my son was in martial arts–so they saw kids then too. Some years they had art lessons for a time…so there was occasionally another regular activity. I wasn’t big on daily interaction with other kids and didn’t think it was necessary. They did really enjoy the interaction they had though!

1 Like