Nouns, Verbs and Adjectives

Pretty soon we are going to start learning about nouns, verbs and adjectives. I’d like to incorporate real books in the lessons. Gallop is a perfect one for adjectives (has the moving pictures…and I just happen to have it). Any more suggestions of good ones for nouns, verbs, or even other good adjective books? (I know, all books have these parts of speech…but I’d love ones that are especially suited for teaching a particular one).

We really love the series of books from Brian P. Cleary:
“A Mink, a Fink, a Skating Rink: What is a Noun?”
“To Root, to Toot, to Parachute: What is a Verb?”
“Hairy, Scary, Ordinary: What is an Adjective?”

4 Likes

My kids have been enjoying Grammar-Land: Grammar in Fun for the Children of Schoolroom-Shire by M.L. Nesbitt in small bites. It’s $2 on the kindle store, but it’s probably free online (from Gutenberg.org) if you want to print it yourself. It’s about judge grammar and a trial over the parts of speech and what they do. I’d say it’s for at least grade 2 and up because the plot is pretty involved and can be hard to follow for my younger one.

They have that in my local library…woo hoo! Thanks!

I know this is late, but do you play mad libs? That has been my very best learning tool for that. We just do a page each day as part of our morning time with my 2nd and 3rd grader and my kids love it. The daily deletion really helps it stick without drilling it.

1 Like