Nonverbal Preschooler

Hello,
I’m new to this group. I have a 3.5 year old who is mostly nonverbal - she has a diagnosis of childhood apraxia of speech. I am looking into preschool options for her for the fall. Do any of you have experience homeschooling a nonverbal child? Is there any curriculum you would suggest? Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Hi! I have a six year old son with severe apraxia of speech. He didn’t say his first words until he was 3 1/2. He started making slow progress at about that age. He turned six in November and talks non stop now. We can understand almost everything he says, but most people still have trouble understanding him. He is continuing to progress, it’s just slow. We started homeschooling him for Kindergarten this past fall (2018). We are using The Good and the Beautiful Math K and he is doing awesome. He has learned all of his letters and their sounds since school started, but isn’t blending sounds yet. So, reading is so going, but I know that will come as his speech progresses. My biggest piece of advice would be to be patient. When my son was 3, I was worried he would never talk. Once I decided he would talk…I had days where I wanted him to pick it up faster, learn things easier. I have an older son who things always came easy for, so it was hard not to want that for him. But I prayed about it and slowly began to understand just how hard it all must be for him. When I realized that, I was able to be okay with slowing things down. I took it one day at a time, and spent those early days focusing on his speech instead of curriculum. I ordered Nancy Kaufman speech cards, and started taking him to private speech therapy. Now that we are in Kindergarten, we take it as slow as he needs, and will continue to do so. Your daughter will get there. Just hang in there, have patience and faith. Feel free to ask any questions you may have. :heart_eyes:

1 Like