Moving to South Denver, HELP!

Hello all,

My husband has taken a job in Colordo, south of Denver. We are excited, but are coming from Michigan where we don’t have any requirements for homeschooling and I am freaking out. You have to report to a public school or an umbrella school? Then you test every other year? I have never tested by girls (ages 9, 7 and 6)
Also, we are moving late January. Can I give them my intent in August?

Any help understanding this would be great!
Thank you!

Blessings,
Lynn

You will need to report to your district. I am not sure about the timing of your letter. Do you know the district?

Feel free to message me and I can help you about as much as I can. We are in Centennial/Aurora Colorado.

hi! No I am not sure. I have heard you can choose which district?

Thank you ! I am so nervous!

We are in Parker which is south as well. Private message if you find it is Douglas county

1 Like
2 Likes

Hi! Welcome to CO! You either need to register with an umbrella school like www.chec.org, OR submit a notice of intent to homeschool to one of the school districts, it doesn’t matter which one. Totally up to you.

Here’s a letter of intent you can use:

Here is a post that might also help regarding schooling in CO

And here is a Colorado Unit study that you’re required to do for 4th grade:

You’ll need to test on odd years, so grades 3,5,7,9,11.

Since you’re moving mid year, I think you’ll need to submit your NOI right away. Normally it’s due 2 weeks before you start school. Just contact the local district and see what they want you to do. Also www.hslda.org has a lot of info on state requirements as well :smile:

1 Like

Oh, then you might want to check out https://www.pche.org/info they have a great group of homeshcoolers there! However you cannot join PCHE AND something like www.chec.org or one of the local district options programs at the same time they don’t allow it.

1 Like

Thank you sooooo much Erica! I cannot tell you how much I appreciate this information. :heart: