Math U See Question

So I gave my oldest (in 4th grade) the Math U See placement test. She has been in public school and we are starting to homeschool next year. Due to the spiral method of PS she knows how to multiply, but not out to 3 or 4 numbers. She knows how to divide, but not out to 3 and 4 numbers. I don’t know where to start her. I hate to take her back 2 years when she understand the concept but just not how to go out that far. Advice to someone who is a late comer to the homeschool game?

If you are set on Math U See, then you really need to go back to Gamma and complete all the work on multiplication. It is possible to skim through the beginning sections that she knows, then complete both Gamma and Delta in one year.
If you really want to continue with a “5th” grade program, I would recommend going back to a spiral method program. CLE, Horizons and Saxon are all great programs.

I am not stuck on doing a 5th grade program I’m just trying to figure out what the best way is to do this for her.

Lindsay, we came in mid concept too. I decided to go back for my kiddos. I would rather it be too easy that a struggle. Now with that being said, if you choose to go back - chances are they will fly through it! And with Math U See they don’t have to do every page, so if your student has mastered it, they may just do pages A & E in that unit to show you and then move on. My youngest is on lesson 20 in his second Math U See book and we just started in December.
I am be no means an expert - we just started the end of November, but this is what worked for us. Best of luck to you hon!

1 Like

Thank you! This is exactly what I was wanting to know. To hear from someone who did go back. I think that’s what we will do. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Lindsay! We started Math U See late too. When I started I purchased two grades and just continued doing math during summer vacation to get “caught up.” We didn’t rush or anything, but we are back on track!

1 Like

I have a 3’rd grader That I’m wanting to switch to Math-u-see from Singapore math, and a 2’nd grader from Abecka math. I was wondering if I start them with the multiplication, if I ever had to put them in public school would they be prepared grade-wise using Math-u-see?

This year I decided to do the Math U See placement test for our son who has always been homeschooled using Singapore for math. He was at grade level (fourth grade) in Singapore and was doing great with the concepts but still counting on his fingers for addition (and I tried a lot of things to help him memorize his addition facts.) He placed in Alpha (since he was counting on his fingers.) So, we started this year in Alpha using only the worksheets printed from the MUS website for most of the lessons. Some days he did 3 lessons a day, and he loved it. We went through Beta and Gamma in the same manner. He is now finishing up Delta, using it in the manner suggested by Math-U-See, and he is like a new boy in math. He does very well on the worksheets and tests, and he shows that he really understands his math. I was thankful that the grade levels are not indicated anywhere on the books, as he never knew what was going on. He was a happy camper the whole time.

1 Like

I would also suggest going to Gamma. They really cover multiple digit multiplication that year and it really helps when they move to division the next year. They’re really helpful and friendly though, so you might want to talk to them before ordering. @mathusee

1 Like

After doing their placement tests I think we will start with Gamma. Thank you!