Looking to change up geography next year

Hi everyone,
I’m wondering if anyone has experience with A Child’s Geography, Beautiful Feet, or Simply Charlotte Mason’s geography. We studied geography this year and it was ok, but I’m looking for a little more.
I’m leaning towards these choices as we absolutely do no want a workbook approach. I thought the chapters in A Child’s Geography looked a bit long. We already have some of the books that correspond with the BF guide and we have used SSM artist and composer studies which we enjoyed. But I would like to hear what others think…pros and cons to any of these.
Thanks in advance!

1 Like

@bezona We did WinterPromise’s Children of the World program. What I loved about it is that it was a solid geography program, but written from a child’s viewpoint. What is it like to live in China? Africa? Italy? Australia? Mexico? etc… We learned about the history of the area and the problems (poverty, etc) told in a gentle way.

1 Like

I haven’t done those exactly, but we are going to be reading books for geography this year (so kind of Charlotte Mason-y?). We are going to study natural disasters in history, so there will be some science in there along with history, but we are emphasizing the geography portion. Example: the tsunami in The Indian Ocean 2005, and we will focus on Indonesia, why that was so destructive, and Indonesian culture- and a little about what a tsunami is. We’ve tried this approach for science and my kids loved it. Easy to adapt to multiple ages too: I will have a 5th, 2nd, and kindergartener this year. Good luck!

1 Like

We tried using A Child’s Geography. at first I was really excited about it, however we only got through 3 lessons. This whole school year. It seems fine “on paper” or at a glance, however it was not a good fit for us. I think because of the chapters being long and it was just not that fun or interesting…not sure quite honestly. It was a dreaded thing for me to prepare and try to engage the kids with, so I kept putting it off.
(I have an 11, 9, and 6 year old).
Hope you find something great for your fam!

I think Simply Charlotte Mason materials are wonderful (the things we have used have been, although we’ve not used the Geography per se). Also, I think the Guest Hollow site looks good and is also not a workbook approach (I don’t think?). We used ancient history this year from Easy Peasy just to fill in this year as we were between programs and studied Ancient China and Ancient Egypt that way with living books added in and my kids loved it (I was surprised at how well it went!). Also, Ambleside Online has good guidelines too, I think? We’ve read some of their read-alouds for History/Geography.