Looking for Science

I am looking for science resources that match up with the topics that will be taught in the Texas public schools in 6th grade (because my son MIGHT be returning to school in 7th grade - this is a trial year, and I want to make sure we keep up with what they are teaching so if he goes back he won’t be behind).

Below are a list of topics he needs to cover. I’d be happy with one curriculum that covers all of them, or piecing together unit studies. Please suggest either, or books that you’ve used that cover a single or multiple topics below well. Thanks.

SCIENCE TOPICS COVERED

MATTER

• Elements and compounds (including chemical symbols and formulas)
  • Elements
    ----metals, nonmetals, and metalloids.
    ----periodic table (basics)
    ----calculating density

FORCE, MOTION AND ENERGY

THE EARTH
The rock cycle and plate tectonics

• Sructural layers of Earth, including the inner core, outer core, mantle, crust, asthenosphere, and lithosphere;
  • classify rocks as metamorphic, igneous, or sedimentary by the processes of their formation

ORGANISMS
-Cells
-Basics of taxonomic classifications
-Characteristics of Organisms (including prokaryotic or eukaryotic, unicellular or multicellular, autotrophic or heterotrophic, and mode of reproduction, and Kingdom)
-Interdependence between organisms and their environments

ECOSYSTEMS
Biotic and abiotic parts of an ecosystem
Levels of organization within an ecosystem (organism, population, community, and ecosystem)

• biotic and abiotic parts of an ecosystem

NOTE: Texas also covers Space and Energy Resources in 6th Grade, but I already think I have things to cover this.

The first thing that popped into my head was God’s Design Science by Answers in Genesis because you have quite a broad amount of topics and typically three books of God’s Design for Science covers one full year of science. Specifically, for these topics you may want to consider:

Properties of Ecosystems ($18.00 new)
Properties of Atoms and Molecules ($18.00 new)
Our Planet Earth ($18.00 new) All the teachers guides are about $7.00 new.
The World of Animals ($18.00)

Hope this helps or gives you something to consider! :smiley:

Here is a link: http://www.christianbook.com/page?page_id=1004656&event=Homeschool|1001898&action=New+Ticket

1 Like

Ellen McHenry might be useful. I’ve not used it personally but I think she covers some of those topics.

1 Like

We used Interactive Science which you can get on Pearson. It is traditional, secular science if that works for you. www.PearsonHomeschool.com. I know the 6,7,8 grade does life science, earth science and I think it was physical science. Daughter just did the life science and it was a great curriculum.

It sounds like the Earth Science would be great. That is what we using for daughter this coming term. http://assets.pearsonschool.com/asset_mgr/current/201426/LEP_TOC.pdf