Living History curriculum

I am looking for a history program that uses living books that can easily be found used or at a library (in other words, not obscure books). Recommendations?

I say TruthQuest History. We just started with their American History guides and I was able to find at least one book under each category to read about. Many of them I was able to find almost all listed books. I did all my searches through the inter-library loan system.
It is probably a good idea to try finding the books that are listed on a few samples from TQ History’s website. That may give you an idea of how many books you can find.
We’re loving the selections! Have fun.

2 Likes

Do you know if the guides for grades 5-12 can be started anywhere? Basically, I’m wondering if all children in those grades can do history together or if every 5th grader needs to start with “Beginnings” and go in order from there?

The answer is yes, you can start anywhere. And all your children can do the same guide together.
I asked the question on their yahoo group, called History-questers where the author is a wonderfully helpful participant, and some of the homeschoolers’ answers were:

Our kids just jump in where we are! We will have kids in grades 4,5,7,8,11, and 12 in AOR3 this year!

We just had a family plan which was driven by our eldest and everyone else “hopped on board” - so they don’t all take the same course in the same grade, but they all get there eventually :slight_smile:

What I am so thankful for with the TruthQuest History guides is their view of history. Not only that it is HIS story, but also that it opens eyes to see that God initiates, and mankind responds. That history is not just mere coincidences and luck or whatever, but that He unfolds things at His perfect timing. Seeing history from this perspective makes so much more sense and strengthens the faith we have in Him.
I am most thankful for the commentary preceding each topic to be read about, and the suggested books have so far proven to be carefully picked, ensuring that I’m not giving materials to my children to read that would cause them to second guess their faith, but of the contrary.
I onky wish I had found them a year or two ago. Get more info here.

I’ve read that the AoR guides are geared more toward high schoolers, specifically that AoR 3 is for seniors. Does that make much difference for the youngers who tag along if they don’t have that book as a senior?

I will ask this question on the yahoo group because I am not certain on this issue. However, from what I understand, and it is what I plan on doing, is that the AOR’s correlate with the AHYS’s, which are for the younger ones. It seems simple enough to read with each group of children the commentaries which precede each topic on books they’ll be reading and then giving each group of children their related books. Even if you wanted to read the books to one group of children, the other group can do theirs independently.
It does seem also like some families just get everyone doing the same guide, even AOR3, as the guides give age appropriate recommendations for 5th-12th graders.
I’ll let you know of any answers I receive from the yahoo group. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I haven’t used them yet (just ordered today!) but we’ll be doing Creek edge press task cards for history. We’re starting with ancient world history. From my understanding you use anything you have access to. I plan to make weekly or every other week trips to the library to stock up on research books and living books for each week’s topic. Just another idea for you.

I f your interested in Truth Quest History, I just saw the guides are 75% off at Mardels right now. Most of them are between $6.00 & $8.00 which is a great deal. Just thought I’d pass it along. Have a great week :smile:

1 Like

So following up… here is what one homeschooler replied:

“I would agree that the Age of Revolution series (AoR series) is definitely for the older students. My boys finished AoR3 last year as one was finishing the 11th grade and the other was finishing 10th grade. My 10th grader had no trouble. He does enjoy history and he had been through all the guides which I think makes a difference. My daughter who was in middle school at the time was not ready for some of AoR so I actually had her do the AHYS series alongside of us. Both AoR and AHYS have resources for all ages. You can keep the family together and just have the younger ones do the American history part with the younger ones if you like.Since we have the younger guides as well we used them side by side but you don’t have to do that.”

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this. It didn’t occur to me that I could use AHYS with middle schoolers too. Very helpful!

1 Like