Learning Disabilities

I do some testing but the point of testing (to me) is to check for understanding. Since we do a portfolio review at the end of the year, I don’t worry about grades too much. Why increase anxiety? Besides, kids who focus on tests don’t necessarily remember the info a few days after the test, right? :smiley:

Sounds like you’re an awesome mom. And who knows our children better than we do?

I will be. We are starting to homeschool our girls in the fall. The youngest is 7 years old. She has issues with fine and gross motor skills and considered to have low vision after correction. Also, her most current round of testing has shown she has a specified learning disability in reading and her processing speed is below normal. I am in the process of figuring out what to use for her. We are looking at Math U See, All About Spelling, All About Reading. I will be reading books to her and also get audio books that are her grade level. History (Ancient Civilizations & the Bible) and Science (Botany) will be in a group with the older girls. So far, this is all we have figured out. I will be watching for more info. I have no idea if it will work, but my plans are to follow her lead. I hope this will work for us. She will be going though the World History stuff twice, so I hope that the will gain more from it the 2nd time.

Hello everyone! We are in our 4th year of homeschooling. I have two that are significantly behind in grade level (due to learning disabilities) but we are able to work at their pace which has helped tremendously. After four years, I’m still looking for the “right” curriculum, for each subject, that fits each of their needs. Number three is now 2 and already showing significant speech delays. We just take it one day at a time. It is nice to know that we are not alone in the special needs homeschooling community. I hope to be able to encourage as well as receive advice myself on approaching my children’s different learning styles. God bless!

1 Like

Aw thank you! It’s been a journey of a lot of trial and error and GRACE! I was raised the ol black or white method which SO does not work with a child who has special needs. From what I’ve learned this far, there is so much more joy and love in your life when you let color in. I’m going to owe my son a big thank you when he’s older for molding me into the woman I’m becoming!

1 Like

I have 6 wonderful boys, and our oldest has Autism, and 3 of our others have some huge learning delays, some due to special needs and some due to just the school system and the things it lacks in. As far as our oldest, it’s been so great to see him bloom and excel in his strengths, things that I don’t even think they were getting out of him at school, because there was no expectation for him to perform, sadly. But at home he’s growing and learning and amazing us. The only thing (subject) that I’ve noticed that just doesn’t flow with him is vocab (worldly wise). It takes to much inference, and is not literal at all, so he misses 90% of what they are asking him. He can tell you the words and definitions, and do basic worksheets, but beyond that he just doesn’t get it. And I feel as long as his vocab is growing, then it’s all good for me. But subjects like grammar and math, which are so black and white, he is passing me up with his understanding and performance in these things. :slight_smile: Our other guys are doing just as well and we are working at their pace, stopping and reworking when needed and going back if needed, and they are hanging in and even are enjoying learning, which is something they have been lacking at public school. Plus I must say, I think they are learning 1000% more than they were at school, or at least retaining more, which makes me so excited. It makes me proud and one of the most awesome things I think there is about homeschooling. Because our kids, especially our kids with special needs, they have just that “special needs” and we are able to adapt an entire school around those things, right in our own home, and the results are AWESOME!!!

2 Likes

For the 2 year old, do you have him in an early intervention program?

we use a lot of the same curriculum as you mentioned and they are working great with our 7 yr old autistic son. It sounds like you are on the right path:)

Hi Kathi!
He is currently in speech therapy and we have appointments with their on staff psychologist there in the coming months to see if there are any significant learning difficulties or disabilities. His therapist has recommended he begin an early intervention program this Fall after he turns 3. So, to answer your question, yes, that is the route we will be taking. Thank you for asking. :smile: My teen is severe ADHD, Autistic, Dyslexic, and has high anxiety. My middle boy is going to be evaluated as well because he is extremely behind in reading and writing.

1 Like

Thank you. I worry I am not picking right. But everything looks so good for them. Do you do a separate Language arts program or is this enough? I worry that I am not adding enough. Oh and her OT said to do Handwriting without Tears, so will get the level one book of that, also. Her handwriting is looking a lot better, so we will work on it over the summer and keep going. Do I need to do Vocabulary? The Botany book has a lot of new words and we will be reading books. I was going to have her write down words she does not know, so we can look them up.

I have recently been looking into the brain training resources by Dianne Craft to help my child. He has Tourette’s (thankfully very mild so far) and appears to have a bit of a learning glitch or possibly disgraphia. Thankfully with homeschooling (& one on one with me in areas he struggles - mostly writing) none of these things are holding him back yet, but my prayer this calendar year is to figure out how best to help him so he can continue to progress academically.

“My plans are to follow her lead,” you said. And that is the BEST thing you can do for her. Here’s the secret to homeschooling: There isn’t any one right way. What is “right” is what works best for your child. It sounds like you have some great plans!

I’ve heard some good things about Dianne Craft’s program. We haven’t done anything yet, but I am interested to know how it works for your child. Please share what you think about it after you’ve given it some time (if you decide to go that route).

I just started with the basic figure 8 last week. Will try to remember to post progress in a few months. I am hopeful!

1 Like

I am using Shurley Grammar in addition to AAR and AAS. I picked it because it’s oral:) it’s repetitive, so,he picked up on it quickly and felt successful! We also use HWOT, it’s fabulous! He finished the first few books and taught himself cursive using the same program!!
My son has received a ton of therapies: ABA, OT, PT, and speech. Luckily all his therapists from the time he was 2 would work with me as well. So I feel very confident in the simple things we do for OT for example…he has “outgrown” the need for those services though​:grinning: vocabulary is easy, feel assured pulling words from Botany is enough:) when my son is older we may do a Vocabulary book, but for now we use science words. Shurley also gives vocabulary words :slight_smile: they start super simple though (cat, bear) and progress.

I also wanted to mention, my son has auditory processing delays, and other similar delays. We use a lot of Critical Thinking Company books! We even use simple dot-to-dot and maze books from the dollar store:) he works through his visual processing book from Critical Thinking daily.

Yes, exactly. I have to keep that in mind. I want to find the perfect thing, but who knows if it will work for us.

Thank you for all your advice. I will look in to Shurley Grammar. Oral is a big plus. Talking is what she is best at. Writing is still hard for her. And thanks for the Critical Thinking Company books. She has puzzle games she plays on her iPad and does not even know they are so good for her.

1 Like

HI,

11year old daughter: She was diagnosed with Dyslexia and a Math disorder. I learned so much by having her independently evaluated. She also has adhd. This is more of the focus/distracted type. She also has Social anxiety disorder. (holy moly- that sounds like a lot of stuff)- BUT we don’t let it define her! She is very much like me when I was a child. I know my child has an above average IQ. When public school was treating her and enabling her to the point that it made her shut down all thinking skills and I felt the call to homeschool - we changed our world. The first 6 months of homeschooling was literally teaching her how to think and work again. She could not handle any sounds or she would go into shut down mode. It was very difficult, but 1 year later she does a LOT of work other own and is enjoying it! YAY I started with Verticy Learning curriculum and then this year more eclectic. She uses Math U see and Spelling U see.

My 9 year old son has Impulsive type ADHD and goes to Public school - although we would love to have him homeschooled - God has not opened the doors yet. He struggles with Math and Reading also. He is getting tested now. I am not sure that it is the same as my daughter. He also has short term memory issues-

I have found essential oils to help with focus and attention.

1 Like

my son has sensory processing disorder as well as speech delay and is on the spectrum. He attends preschool to help with his speech (which has improved tremendously) but with SPD, he can’t forcus because everything overstimulates him! I plan on homeschooling him and my daughter (2 yo) in the fall. I have felt for a long time now that homeschooling is something I’m suppose to do. We weren’t sure the direction to go with our son but reading others posts here I feel like I can do it!! Thanks for your inspiration!

1 Like