IEW Fix It Grammar

Hi! has anyone here used IEW Fix It for grammar? I’ve had a few questions on it, and someone else recommended it as well so I was just curious if any of you have experience with it. What’s it like, and how do you like it?

Erica :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Following. I have never used it but bought it for next year!

1 Like

I was just looking at Fix It Grammar this morning on the Christian Book web site! I’m having such a hard time finding a grammar program I like, and that my child will understand. I bought Easy Grammar for next year, but I’m really not feeling it. I was curious if anyone thinks that the Nose Tree book would be too young for a 7th grader or not? Following this!!

1 Like

It’s my understanding you always start with the first book no matter the age. I am starting Nose Tree with a 4th and 6th grader next year :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I used it for the first time this year with my 7th, 5th & 3rd graders. They love doing it and have learned quite a bit. I started with the first level, The Nose Tree. It was a good fit.
Each week they learn a new part of speech but continue to review the previous ones. For example, in the fourth week they learn what a pronoun is and mark it in that week’s sentences of the story. At the same time, they also mark the nouns, articles, and pick the correct homophone like they have been doing in previous weeks. Each day they copy their corrected work into a spiral notebook, thus rewriting the whole story (as there are only four days of work, my one daughter saves all the rewriting for Friday). I love they are getting handwriting practice and grammar in one. I also love that it is $19 for the teacher’s book with the downloadable student book. I can make more copies in a few years when my boys are ready for it.
My sister-in-law is more articulate and did a review on Fix It! Grammar here: http://abiglittlefamily.com/2014/09/tos-review-institute-for-excellence-in-writing-2/

4 Likes

Actually IEW does have a placement test to start with your child’s skill level. We have done books 1, 2, and 3. They definitely get more challenging as they go. I was an English major in college and I have learned a TON.

2 Likes

We use Fix It Grammar and started with The Nose Tree for all kids 6th and two 3rd. My 6th grader moves at a faster pace doing 2 days in 1 at times. They all love this program! It is just enough grammar in a day and it is progressive so they are constantly reviewing and reinforcing what they are learning.

2 Likes

I just wanted to say a quick thanks to @allinplass and @alysmed for saying how much you are enjoying this! We are starting this for next school year and are switching from a program we LOVE that we’ve been doing for two years now, but I really want to move into IEW’s materials, so that’s the reason for our switch. I’m nervous my daughter won’t love it as much, so I am glad to hear you both enjoy this so much!! Makes me less nervous! I have already purchased it, and it looks sound, but I just hope my daughter enjoys it as much as she has enjoyed her previous editing-style grammar program. :slight_smile:

2 Likes