How many of you use All About Spelling and All About Reading?

We are new homeschoolers and are using All About Spelling and really liking it. I am curious what the differences are in the spelling and reading programs. It looks like they both have very similar tiles that the kids use. Do they both cover the same material? Just wondering if it gets to be too much repetition for the kids and they lose interest. Would love to hear what your thoughts are. Thanks!

We have used AAS for 2 years now and love it. This year I bought AAR level 3 for my 3rd grade daughter. They are both very similar except AAR obviously has readers with it. They both cover the same phonics but if she knows them well enough we just skip that part of the reading lesson. She loves the activities and the books. There are a few lessons where all she does is read the book. I’m ok with that cause we cover the phonics in depth during spelling. I hope that helps.

1 Like

We use AAR and AAS for our 2nd grader and now also for our Kindergartener. We have used two levels of AAR and and are in our second level of AAS. I do see the same overlap in teaching method but so far, I am seeing enough new rules also being brought in (especially in spelling) that it seems worthwhile to teach both. We teach them separately (we do reading first in the school year and when that is complete we move into the spelling level for that grade) so it seems like it gives good coverage and also review throughout the year (offering a sort of spiral method so nothing is forgotten). :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Forchristandkids that is a perfect way of saying it:) I agree 100%!

@Luvmyboys Thanks! :slight_smile:

We don’t use AAR, but we do use AAS - so I can’t compare the two. I feel like everyone raves about the program. I will say that while the program teaches useful techniques, and it is easy to use, we find it a bit boring and repetitive. I supplement with spelling games (focusing on the words being in our current lesson) to keep my daughter interested.

2 Likes

@triton17 I have to agree with you somewhat with the AAS as far as it being repetitive and not so flashy. I definitely rave about AAR, but if I had started with only AAS, I would probably wonder what everyone was so excited about :slight_smile: I feel like AAS is the basics (we have only done level 1 and are starting into level 2 now though, so maybe it will get more exciting or maybe not) which maybe is the best to hope for with spelling in general, but their AAR is phenomenal and my Kindergartener is almost complete with level 1 and by the time my other child had finished level 1 at the end of her 1st grade year she was reading on a mid-5th grade level. So we stick with AAS too, even though it is basic and maybe even a bit humdrum because I know they are learning the foundational rules and it goes so well with the AAR rules too. When we use AAS we use Spelling City online a lot to supplement :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Forchristandkids Thanks for mentioning Spelling City as I was not familiar with it. It looks like something my kids could use and enjoy. Do you use the free version or do you think it’s worth it for the premium version? Thanks again!

@Kelly Oh, I’m so glad you like it! My kids enjoy it. We have just used the free version so far, but now with having two kids in spelling lessons I might consider paying for the membership since it does look like it offers 35 games versus 12 for the free version. I am glad you mentioned the premium version because I hadn’t really considered it, and it made me go look up the price and I didn’t realize how reasonable it is! :slight_smile: So thank you!

1 Like

@Forchristandkids I was kind of thinking the same thing. With 3 kiddos that would use it, it looks like it would be worth it. I’ll try it our for a few weeks first and the decide, but can’t imagine we won’t. Thanks again!

1 Like

Although the phonograms are the same, the focus of each program and the concepts they cover are different. This blog post from AALP explains the differences. HTH!

1 Like

We use both, and are a little more ahead in AAR than in AAS. I find that for my daughter decoding phonetics to read comes much easier than encoding phonetics to spell. I love how both curriculums go hand in hand to hit reading and spelling from all angles.

1 Like

We decided to use Logic of English, mostly because I like “cursive first” but also wanted something “open and go” and very fun for my wiggly boy! My girl loves the animals and graphics, my boy loves all the hands on and very active games. They are 5 and 6 and write in cursive exclusively, but like to try their hand at manuscript, just for fun!

They sound out everything! It is fun to watch ; )

Blessings!

1 Like