How does your 6 year old do with coin recognition?

Sooo, my 6 year old daughter has the most difficult time recognizing the 4 main coins and mixing up values (quarter, dime, nickel and penny). Just wanted to get some wisdom and advice from your own experiences and what ages it seemed to “click” for your kids or what age/grade you pursued it with greater expectation for them to be remembering it. If you have any suggestions on how to make remembering it easier?.. It’s one of those things that if we go over it over and over in the same sitting she seems to have gotten it but the next day it’s completely gone. Thanks :slight_smile: I appreciate any and all advice.

1 Like

No real advice, but my 6yo does the same. We play games and discuss and HE’S GOT IT!! Then the next day he’s mixing them all up. Those dimes really throw him off… “Why are they worth more than the bigger coins?!” Anyway, I “expect” it to be learned (identification and worth) by the end of first grade. I anticipate our 6yos will have get it between now and college :grinning: For now, know you are not alone. Good luck )and if you find anything that magically works, do share!!)

My daughter did the same. I just placed a Coin Chart on the wall and let her look at it whenever she needed. She ended up recognizing them in a couple of months. I like the kind of charts that have the name of the coin, an image of the front and back, and the value.

1 Like

Yes, hopefully by college LOL! I do appreciate knowing I’m not alone. I think I’ll go with a chart on the wall and just have her check it out every day :slight_smile: Thanks again!

1 Like

Thank you for the advice. I did make a chart like you described so I think I’m just going to tape on the real coins as well so the touching and seeing the “real” thing helps out a bit too. It’s nice knowing the time frame it took for yours, so thank you!

1 Like

Good morning,

My 9 year old son finally is getting coins just this summer. He has gotten names and values down. The thing that helped him the most seems to be “real world” usage of money. He plays a game that requires 2 quarters every time we eat at Perkins. He also is buying small things with his allowance and getting change.
My 8 year old gets the names of the coins, but the values are not as solid yet. He is a saver and won’t spend a dime of his allowance unless it is for fresh peaches.

1 Like

Thank you, I will certainly try to incorporate the real world usage more often - making some game out of it is a great idea. That is too cute about him only buying peaches :slight_smile: smart kid!

She gets the names and the amounts, but still a bit inconsistently. I started playing a game with them using real coins and it seems to be working. They have the pennies down. When they earn more, they have to pick the next coin up and trade in the pennies, then nickels, dimes, quarters, etc. (They haven’t traded quarters yet.) This also incorporates other money lessons too, but for now, I’m keeping it simple.

1 Like

Good idea about the trading in game. I’ll try it!

@bran That’s wonderful. Please let me know how it works for you.

We did the Kumon money book and by the end my 6 year could count any amount of money. I think playing monopoly has also helped reinforce it!

I made a game of it. Every night, I showed her a coin. If she got it right, she got to keep it. That really increased her motivation! As she got better, I showed her two coins and asked her the value. Again, if she got it right, she kept it. If not, I kept it :slight_smile:

1 Like

@JennUVA9 - wow! That’s a great idea! I bet it didn’t take long for mastery!! Thanks for the idea :wink: