How do you study or read the bible?

Hi all!
I’m trying to include a Bible study in our morning basket time this school year. I have various little bible story books and a child’s bible (very tiny script and hard to read).

I hope this doesn’t come across as horrible, but I honestly don’t know anything thats in the bible other than the story of Adam and Eve and of course how God gave us his son. That’s it.

I want to teach my children about God and start to read the bible, but I’m clueless as to where to start.

My questions are these:

What bible do you suggest to have on hand to read from?
We are Catholic, not sure if hat matters.

What bible study guide do you use?
I want something easy and open and go.

We’re going to study character traits this year from the COAH curriculum, so any advice on what I need to go along with that study?

Thanks in advance!!

Hi @ghcostafamily! I love the idea of a morning basket time and including Bible time with that! I can let you know what we have been using and of some resources I’ve found helpful :slight_smile: We use Bible Road Trip which is free online for the downloads if you download one lesson at a time. It is a 3-year cycle that you can go through at the youngest age level and then again at middle school and again at high school if you choose to. It provides a list of some resource texts you can choose to purchase if you’d like and also notebooking pages for every “week” of the material. It’s basic and thorough at the same time. Here is a link to that Web site: https://www.thinkingkidsblog.org/bible-road-trip-the-everything-page/

Some Bibles we keep on hand include The Jesus Storybook Bible which is great for elementary kids, Show and Tell Bible Stories which is great for preschool and early elementary, and an ICB Bible (International Children’s Bible) which is what we read directly from for the most part. One Bible that is suggested for use in Bible Road Trip is 365 Great Bible Stories and it’s also great for preschool and early elementary ages.

We are also not a Catholic family, so these resources can be used across any denomination I think. The BIble Road Trip curriculum also uses (as an optional resource) the What’s In the Bible dvds which are fantastic for kids.

The What’s In the Bible site also offers free downloadable coloring pages, but they also sell a coloring book to go along with the video series.

This year we’ve added in the Friends and Heroes dvds on Fridays as well just for fun. I hope this information is helpful! I know others have found studies they really love too, so hopefully you’ll get some more feedback soon and have some good ideas to choose from! :slight_smile:

HI @Forchristandkids,
Thank you for responding! I checked out those links and everything looks amazing! Thank you for that :slight_smile:
I have another question, Ive read that their are a lot of different versions of the bible,and Id like to have one that doesn’t say SEXUAL RELATIONS in it. Don’t get me wrong, I love being honest and using correct terminology with my kiddos, but also love the beauty of the older English language. Is this making sense?

Hi there @ghcostafamily :slight_smile: I’m glad those links were helpful! I totally understand your question about versions of the Bible. As far as finding a full Genesis to Revelation Bible translation (as opposed to a children’s story Bible which includes only select stories), I’m not sure which version might be what you are looking for. Even in the International Children’s Bible that I read from, there are some instances (only one I’ve come across so far) where something referring to what you mentioned is actually present in the wording. What I do typically is to pre-read the passage before reading it to/with my children. That way, if something of that sort is present there, I can “edit” as I read and use more appropriate language or, honestly, skip that passage for the day altogether and go on to the next reading. And when my 9 year old wants to read on her own, I again skim the passage to make sure it’s appropriate for her age level (because, frankly, the Old Testament especially isn’t all-access for a 9 year old as far as I have discovered! :slight_smile:

As far as older English language, this sounds like you might be referring to a King James Bible version. Many people (including popular homeschool curriculum writers) feel that this translation is actually the easiest for memorization for children. It’s possible this translation might use terminology such as they “knew” each other rather than getting into specifics of the acts like you mentioned.

The story Bibles we use so far have been completely appropriate (there may be stories we’ve not gotten to yet that are not though.) I will say the Show and Tell Bible I mentioned previously is completely clean and readable for kids (I actually edited that for the publishing company before it went on sale so I know fully what is in there), and so far the 365 Great Bible Stories has also been great (my then 6 year old only struggled through the reading of the Plagues in Exodus in this version because there were clearly sad events that took place). Please let me know if I can answer anything else!