How do you organize your kids daily school work?

We use a similar cart I think. I do a combination folder+drawer+file organizer sort of thing. I put all assignments and manipulative and books in each kid’s (I have three) drawers each morning. They’re color coded but all on the same rack so I don’t have to have 3 separate workbox systems. Inside each is a folder that they can load up whatever assignment they want to work on first and take wherever they are working that day…or hour… or more like minute. :slight_smile:

Anywho, when they’re done I have a stacking file organizer (like you see scrapbook paper displayed in) for them to put their finished work. I grade it and put it back in their drawers for review.

I think I might try the notebook system sometime soon. Where you write the to do list each day in their personal notebook and they can check it off as they go. That way you have a record of what they’ve done in the year and a progress report on how much they’ve done each day.

1 Like

We use a modified form of workboxes since we initially didn’t have the room for them - and they also travel nicely. We use workfolders: http://www.homeschoolcreations.net/2010/07/our-new-workbox-system-workbook-weekly/

They have definitely been a HUGE help in our homeschool time - just having a basic system in place.

3 Likes

I use binders that have dividers with pockets, all of the worksheets for the week go into the pockets. Then I have my binder with the same, I put all graded work for the week in the pockets that are labeled for each subject, and then put it all in a folder in my file cabinet at the end of the week.

1 Like

I like buying the ebook versions of curriculum and printed it off myself and storing it in a binder. In the back of the binder I put the worksheets in a page protector and just pull sheets out as we need them. So we can move our school outside on nice days just by bring one binder with teacher notes plus student sheets.

I tried workboxes and just couldn’t get into it, seemed like too much planning for me. I function better in organized chaos :wink:

1 Like

I have just one kiddo. We use workboxes. I purchased 2 3-drawer sterilite containers, and stack them on top of each other. I also write down her assignments so she can see it on paper and cross it off as she goes. We love the workbox system! :heart_eyes:

I put the days work in individual folders for each subject and when it’s completed he puts it in his finished folder to be graded. After I grade/look at it I put it in the opposite side of the finished folder and once a week we put it in a 3" binder with tabbed dividers for each subject. Took a little bit to get him to do this but it makes it easier to stay on top of things and keep stuff organized. Plus he knows exactly what pages to do if I am busy doing other things.

LOVE workboxes! Here’s a picture of ours. Workboxes really streamlined things for us. I got these drawers at staples years ago, no stability problems and they can hold a heavy textbook (think Apologia high school science books!) I liked that I could add on drawers fairly easily. The drawers aren’t easily removable by kids though–which may be a pro or con!

One thing I found when looking at stackable drawers–ones with corner supports are more sturdy than ones with side supports. So, look for corner supports.

Here’s a description and more pictures.

2 Likes

I love your workfolders system. I would like to have the 10 drawer carts in my classroom but we have too many kids and not enough space and money for that! Its great to see your system and to read about what everyone else is doing. We have unsightly stacks of books and papers on our activity table and I need to figure something out! I think the folders are very simple, organized, cost effective, and transportable! Thanks again, I enjoyed your site!

With an excel worksheet calendar (per kid/week) and folders with their worksheets.

I use workboxes for my preschooler. He really likes going through the boxes each morning to see his work for the day. My older two have their schoolbooks in the boxes, but we don’t use them as workboxes. My oldest has a plan book that I write all of her assignments in, and she can go in whatever order she wants, unless I need to work with her on something. For my first grader, we sit and do most of his work together, and for the work he does on his own, he pretty much just follows the next page in the workbook (like handwriting). It works so-so for us. This is our first year, so I wasn’t sure what would work or not. I do want to really sit down & plan out a schedule and a better way to organize their work for next year.

We use work boxes and a file box system. For daily work each subject has a box and all supplies needed. Before the first day of school I break down out school year into file folders for the year by week. So each week I pull out weekly payouts from the box and put in the work boxes.

Well, I also use the “workboxes”-system in a 10-drawer cart.
My oldest, in 3rd grade, has something in every box:
Bible-Character related, Language, Copywork, Spelling, Vocabulary-Comprehension, Arithmetic, Social Studies-History, Geography, Science-Health, Arts&Crafts-KeepersOfTheFaith.
She only does 6 or 7 of those drawers per day (Most are for everyday, the others are for once per week.)
It all gets put back where it belongs, and she knows exactly how much more there is to be done.
In with the books, we have a plastic folder with a snap button that can be purchased at Dollar Tree at 3 for $1, for keeping each workbook’s papers in order (we tear out each page daily). I am pleased with this method.

1 Like

We have a 2-inch Staples better binder with all subjects (Memory Work, Language Arts, Math, Science, History, Art) in it. The work comes out, gets done and corrected, then I file it away. I have a separate drawer for my All About Spelling cards.

We use the Workbox System. Like others, I got the idea from Erica and built it around there. I love the ease of it and how I can put everything in one spot! My son likes the organization and the routine of it. The Workboxes help him know exactly what he needs to do throughout the day and when he’s done, he just removes the task, places it on his card, and we move on to the next subject. I think that it gives him a sense of accomplishment at the end of the day to see everything that he did.

3 Likes

I use a 4" binder that has most of the worksheets needed for the school year divided by subject. Each day I pull out the next worksheet needed for what subjects we are doing that day and place them in a pile on one side of their table spot. When they are finished with them they place them on the opposite side for me to grade. Everything that is graded and corrected go in the “Review with Dad” folder. Each month dad reviews all the work in that folder, then it is placed in the school year folder.

I tried the workbox system, and my kids loved it, but it just didn’t fit my style of teaching. Plus it takes tons of space with 5 kids! My binder / folder system takes up one shelve on the bookshelf :smile:

3 Likes

We do something very similar with binders and folders. They have a folder for each subject and the work for the week goes in one side, completed work in the other. I pull the upcoming week’s work on Fridays and refill their folders. I usually empty their completed work every 6 weeks. It works well. I love the work box idea but I’m like you and don’t have the space! So this is our take on workboxes!! :smile:

1 Like

We use Abeka for most of our schoolwork. I have a small filebox with 30 folders that are marked with lesson numbers. The first one says “1 31 61 91 121 151” I fill each folder with the worksheets from the workbooks. Every 30 days, I refill with the next set of 30 lessons. Every day, I pull out the folder for the day’s work. It works for me because I have the work handy, but I’m not filling the folders up too often. My daughter is going into 1st grade and I’ll use the same system until she is a little more independent (and dependable).

Does anyone know if they see the printable pages that I can put in the front and side of my binder? Like the binder they have on the pre k purchase.

My son is in 8th grade this year and works mostly independently on school during the day, as I work full time outside the home. So organization for us is key. This year I purchased a Mead 5 Star Flex Binder that has 7 tabbed dividers (3 of which are pocket dividers) I will use this for most subjects. I’m hoping with it serving both as a binder and a folder it will help keep everything together.

1 Like